Monday, June 19, 2006

Showing our little farm to my parents

We spent the last 6 days out at our
farmhouse with my parents and youngest sister.  It was a great
time.  I loved being able to show them our future home and Steve's
heritage.  We even took them to the nursing home to meet Steve's
Grandma and eat dinner with her.  I enjoyed seeing my Dad
discussing the farmhouse with her. 

It truly warmed my
heart to be able to show my parents Steve's family homestead.  To
share with them our dreams for the place, and to see my parents pitch
in to help tame the wilderness out there.  It blessed me to find
that they found the same charm in our house and some areas I was
worried might take major work, they did not think needed it.  It
helped me focus my mind on what work DOES need to be done on the house
and what does not.

Mom made it her chore to push mow the yard
and also some areas we had not mown since last Spring.  I wish the
riding mower had been working for her. She also cut down many of the
self-sown small trees cluttering up the yard and garden area and
putting some poison on the stumps that will stop them from growing
back. 

Dad and Steve hauled several loads of junk from
the trees out to the dump, cut down two dead trees, worked on the John
Deere riding lawn tractor trying to get it running, repaired the
plumbing under the kitchen sink so it would stop leaking and they could
turn the cold water back on at the sink, weed eated several severely
overgrown areas, cut down some of the larger self-sown trees, moved
fallen trees, and I don't know what else.

Besides the work he
did with Dad, Steve also sanded off the picnic table and the propane
tank.  Then he started repainting the propane tank.  He did
not get the picnic table repainted, but he did buy paint for it. 

I took care of the baby and children, did the dishes and the cooking,
discussed room colors with my Mom, looked at paint color samples and
chose some with my Mom, dealt with a nearly over flowing toilet twice
and an overflowed toilet twice, medicated and cared for the cats
several times a day (including cleaning up potty training kitten
accidents), and just basically held down the fort.  I felt quite
lazy compared to my Mom, Dad, and Steve.  I even stayed home with
the baby while Steve and my Mom took my sister and 5 of our children to
the pool in town Friday afternoon.  This was our first trip out
there with Baby L and it severely hampered how I was able to pitch
in.  I know as she grows, I'll be able to do more again.

Steve's Grandma still owns the land connected to the 7 acres we
bought.  She is in a nursing home, though, and has rented her land
to another farmer for years.  He was harvesting wheat there on
Friday, and the three middle children got to ride in his combine twice
and also to play in the truck full of harvested grain.  Then on
Saturday he brought over a loaf of bread his wife made with some of the
freshly harvested wheat. It was delicious and afterwards, Steve and my
Dad took the children to the farmer's home to play on some home made
play equipment he has ... including a minature ferris wheel.  The
children played while the men explored the antique cars and other items
the farmer has collected over the years.  They all had a wonderful
time. 

We also figured out how to use fans, the
windows, and the all-house fan in the attic to cool the house down
without an air conditioner.  Mom and Dad helped us talk through
that and experiment with it. 

Now, in addition to 6
days worth of laundry piled up (something I do not ever do at home), we
also have bedding from four beds and ALL the towels in the house to
wash.  I have alot of work ahead of me to unpack and launder all
these items.

And we need to research old toilets and septic
tanks before we go back.  The toilet situation has been worse with
each visit.  Ugh!!  I do not want to deal with multiple
overflows every time we are out there.  We've never had a septic
tank before, and this is an old one.  I suspect some of the issues
lie there. 

Thankfully, we did not have any critter
run-ins this time.  No snakes or squirrels in the basement. 
No live animals in the basement or house.  No snakes discovered in
the yard, either.  Dad did startle a deer in our yard when he went
out early one morning, and he and Mom found a "deer nest" in the yard
when they were cutting down trees.  They cut down a few trees and
found the area of trampled grass between the trees and a bush,
surrounded by long grass.  Well, Steve had another incident when a
deer jumped into the back end of the Suburban on one of his daytime
trips to town.  It left a small dent, but could have been much
worse. 

Sunday morning we attended our future church again.  We have not
been there on a Sunday morning in 6 months or more.  It was nice
to be there again.  With every visit, the children begin to feel
more comfortable there, and that will make the eventual move smoother.

While we were there, Steve applied for two jobs.  We are praying
God opens a job up for him out there as soon as possible.  But we
know God has a plan and His timing is best.

3 comments:

  1. "I took care of the baby and children, did the dishes and the cooking, discussed room colors with my Mom, looked at paint color samples and chose some with my Mom, dealt with a nearly over flowing toilet twice and an overflowed toilet twice, medicated and cared for the cats several times a day (including cleaning up potty training kitten accidents), and just basically held down the fort. I felt quite lazy compared to my Mom, Dad, and Steve. I even stayed home with the baby while Steve and my Mom took my sister and 5 of our children to the pool in town Friday afternoon. This was our first trip out there with Baby L and it severely hampered how I was able to pitch in. I know as she grows, I'll be able to do more again."


    I do believe we are clones. I, too, would've felt like I was being "lazy," even though all three of the others would have said I did at least as much as they did.


    I'm glad your family was able to come help out and your farm sounds WONDERFUL. :)


    Chelo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Enjoy your brand new little blessing!


    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, sounds like a wonderful time! I'm so glad you got to share your dream with your parents. And I think you were quite busy, even if it was an indoors sort of busy. Looking forward to seeing how God works out the details of getting y'all out there. Praying for a job to open up.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!