Monday, July 10, 2006

Meatloaf Something Different

I decided to try a different Meatloaf
Recipe today.  My children aren't fond of meatloaf, and I've been
trying to make them like it.  They like my Mother-in-law's Hamloaf
recipe, which is similar to my meatloaf recipe.  I just don't know
why they like hamloaf, but not meatloaf.

Anyway, I decided to try my friend Shurleen's recipe today.  Her recipe is basically the same as mine, except one ingredient is different. 

I
stood there at the pantry wondering why it calls for sweetened
condensed milk instead of evaporated milk or refrigerated milk. I
thought it was odd to use sweetened milk in a recipe like this, but I
did it.

Then it cooked and I tasted it. VERY SWEET!! Caramelized Meatloaf with Onion. :lol 

So
I double checked the recipe again. Doofus me!! I always confuse
evaporated milk and sweetened, condensed milk. And I confused them
today. :lol

The children said they actually missed my tomato sauce meatloaf recipe.  :sigh  I thought they'd like it without the tomato this time.  But I guess not.  :rolleyes
   I'm still going to try Shurleen's recipe again, but with evaporated milk instead!!

Go ahead, laugh at me.  It's okay.  I'm laughing, too. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, honey, I can't laugh about the sweetend condensed milk...I can't even grow a tomato seed! I have to go check out Shurleen's recipe...this has my curiosity...it sounds good! Mikki at clagettsflstyle had a great meatloaf recipe on her blog about 6 weeks ago...I think she may still have it in her archives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just to double-check ... it's *not* supposed to have the sweetened kind, right?


    I always call them wrong ~ "sweetened evaporated milk"


    and I've accidentally subbed them to make a sweet thing (BrendaWA's fudge) even sweeter - and grainer, the sugar didn't dissolve since it was already so saturated, LOL) but never a savory thing sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have Shurleen's recipe...if you don't think she would mind.


    Blessings,


    Angela

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!