Thursday, September 14, 2006

Making Reading Headway

Tuesday, 5 yo J and 7 yo C were
coloring.  J was writing random letters on a paper and then asking
me what they spelled.  "JCMGD ... Juhkcmgud ... that doesn't spell
anything, J."  That's so cute when they go through that phase.

From the kitchen, I then hear C telling J ... "That isn't a word. 
It doesn't have any vowels.  It has to have vowels.  The
vowels are A, E, I, O, and U." 

Then J piped up and said, "And sometimes Y." 

They're learning ... slowly.  We just have to find the right key
to help her make the connection to put the letter sounds
together. 

When she's sounding out a word, she will repeat the sounds over and
over, faster and faster, and still not hear the word.  "C-a-t,
c-a-t, c-a-t ..."  But she's getting closer!!

1 comment:

  1. That's so cute : ) It made me smile. I love when my kids ":teach" each other. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!