Friday, December 15, 2006

Another Hand-Made Christmas Gift

Another gift I'm giving this year is sets of 5 or 10 hand-made blank cards with envelopes.  These are pictures of some of the cards I made this year.





I am a scrapbooker, so I have a large supply of scrapbook paper and stickers.  But cards could also be made from acid-free card stock, which comes in a variety of colors and weights.  It can also be bought in bulk packages, or in smaller numbers.

I tried using my 8 x 10 inch and 8.5 x 11 inch papers first.  These were easily cut in half to make 4 x 5 inch and 4.25 x 5.5 inch card blanks.  I then folded the card blanks in half.  These fit nicely into # 5 1/2 Invitation Envelopes which measure 4 3/8 x 5 3/4 inch.

I used a combination of rubber stamps (of which my children have a large collection), stickers, die-cuts, and papers to create my cards.  When I made a dark-colored card, I attached a square of light paper on the inside so a message could be easily written.  I like the simple cards with a coordinating paper strip or paper circle on the front.    I also liked a card I made with a circle cut out of the front and a coordinating paper attached inside to show through the hole.  However, my circle cutter broke, so I quit making the cut-out cards.

Scrapbook stores, large hobby stores, and even Walmart carry a variety of scrapbooking and paper craft supplies.  I know some people prefer to use glue sticks, but I really like the photo splits that are little squares of double-stick tape.

I have never made cards before this year.  I know I am just a beginner, but it was fun.  I'm looking forward to continuing to develop this craft, for my personal use, and for gift-giving. 

Blessings,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!