Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Cheater Cookies

Our church has cookies served after services each week.  Every week, two volunteers bring 7 dozen cookies each for this fellowship time.  This quarterly commitment helped me develop my "cheater cookies".

Ingredients:

  • Family Size Brownie mix (store brands work just as well as name brands)

  • Oil, water, eggs required for brownie mix

  • Your choice of baking chips (chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, white chocolate, etc.)

  • Mini-muffin pan



I have two mini-muffin pans.  They each make 2 dozen mini-muffins.  A family size (9x13)  brownie mix will fill both pans.  4 dozen "cheater cookies" in half an hour. 

I mix up the brownie mix per its instructions.  Then I stir in whatever baking chips I have on hand and desire to use that time.  I've used white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate and peanut butter, milk chocolate and caramel, etc.  Use baking spray in each mini-muffin hole and fill 2/3 full of brownie batter.  Bake at 350* for about 9 minutes.  Test with a toothpick in one of the middle mini-muffins. 

Remove from oven and let cool in pan for a short while.  Use a plastic knife to loosen the "cookies" from each mini-muffin slot.  Set aside to finish cooling.

While these are still hot, you could add a candy to the top of each one.  Yesterday, I pushed a caramel/chocolate chip into the top of each one.  You could do the same with an M&M, a Reeses piece, or a Hershey's kiss.  Hmm.  Other add-ins could be mini M&Ms, crushed peppermint candy, Reeses pieces, etc. 

I like that they're easy and quick.  I like that I can change their flavor by changing the "add-in".  I can dress them up by adding a candy to the top.  Since we only buy brownie mixes and baking chips when they are on sale, they aren't *that* expensive, either.  We stock up on those sale items whenever we can.

I also like using my Pampered Chef small cookie dough scoop.  It's the perfect size for filling the mini-muffin holes in the pan.  One scoop per hole. 

I know this isn't a brilliant recipe. I know it isn't from scratch.  But it is something that has made my life easier.  It stretches the brownie mix further than a pan would, and it is easier to serve than cutting up the pan of brownies.  (Am I the only one who usually butchers the brownies by cutting them while they're still too warm?)   It's also easier than making cookies the traditional way, one dozen at a time on the cookie trays.  And it's certainly cheaper than buying cookie mixes or cookie dough.

Tonight I'm going to a cookie exchange (barring any unforeseen circumstances between now and then).  Yesterday, Baby L took a nap.  I wasn't sure how long she'd sleep or how fussy she was going to be this week since she was so sick all weekend long.  So, I decided to make the cheater cookies, and I prayed I'd get them in the oven before she woke up.   In the long run, she actually took a very long nap, but my cookies were done.  One less thing to worry about.  And I actually was able to accomplish several other tasks while she slept instead of having cookie making take up the whole time.

I also like using muffin mixes in my mini-muffin pan ... 2 or 3 mini-muffins per child are less messy than one big muffin.  Also, they work better for the Sunday Fellowship.

Just an idea that might make someone else's life easier.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! : ) I used to have a pampered chef recipe for cookies made with a cake mix, but lost it. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often make refreshments for my Wednesday night class. I usually do brownies because they are easiest! This will really help and they will like the added variety!


    Merry Christmas! In Him, Eva

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!