Monday, March 26, 2007

More flower talk ...

Well, Kim piqued my interest, and I started searching.  I have some wimpy striped squill blooming, and I *had* what I think was a single glory of the snow, but it has disappeared.  I think a cat or child got to it.  So, I have white lilacs, purple grape hyacinths, striped squill, and 2 daffodils blooming.

The irises I transplanted a couple weeks ago look like they're holding their own for now.  The rose bushes I transplanted have new leaves growing, so I think they survived.  The unknown bush still looks the same.  I'm suspicious of that bush.

Today, I saved some bulbs from my husband's overzealous mowing.  Our house was built on a lot where an older house once stood.  And there are flowers growing up in odd places where the original flower beds once were.  Every year, I dig something up and move it before Steve mows.  I've transplanted about 20 surprise lilies, for instance. 

We have this tiny late spring/early summer bulb that I have never identified that I dig up from the yard every year and move to flower beds.  Steve just mows over it if I leave it in the yard.  It's hardy, and it keeps coming back ... in the yard, and the flower beds.  It naturalizes in clumps, and I really like it. 

It's leaves are long, thin, grass-like with a white stripe down the center.  It blends in with our grass until it gets longer than the grass.  It sends up single flowers on each stem, that are just about an inch across.  THe flowers are white with a hint of blue, and they have 5 or 6 petals (I can't remember which).  It kind of resembles Ipheion Uniflorum, only smaller and daintier, and with that stripe on the leaf. 

I'll have to take some pictures later this year and post them, to see if anyone else can identify them.  I've looked in gardening books and googled it countless times.  It's my mystery flower, I guess.  Wouldn't it be my luck that it's just a wildflower I'm moving around.   Oh well, it's pretty, I like it, and it's free. 

Blessings,
April

5 comments:

  1. some crocus have a stripe down their grass-like leaves ... I know mine do. I think they're crocus, they don't always bloom. Maybe they're not, LOL!


    I want to plant some glory of the snow, I was supposed to do it last fall. My sister thought hers were scilla siberica (siberian squill) ... interesting that your squill are related-but-not-the-same as mine. Why are they wimpy?


    I moved in the boundaries of our flower bed (it was very overgrown) so now I have tulips and a few remaining iris growing in the lawn part - and a lot of scattered grape hyacinth. Don't you have to wait until after they bloom and die back to relocate them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. could it be <a href="http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/495/">Star of Bethlehem</a> ??


    sounds like they bloom later than crocus but have similar leaves and the flowers look like your other link, only smaller?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I suppose it would be best to wait until they bloom and die off ... but we've planted iris in the Spring before. They don't necessarily bloom that year, but they usually survive and spend the year getting rooted in and ready for the next year to bloom.


    With these mystery flowers, I can't wait until they've bloomed. Steve never lets them bloom really ... just keeps mowing over them. I could probably spot them to dig them up after they were mowed, but not as easily. Right now they were 3-5 inches taller than the grass, so it was easy.


    I'll have to look at your links and try to figure it out. But until they bloom, I'm just going off memory of what I think they looked like.


    Oh, the Striped Squill is wimpy because it's just 6 individual plants here and there. They likely don't get enough sunlight where they're located, because they're tiny and have never spread as I think they're supposed to. Is that bad grammar? Did it just grate on your nerves? I truly have no clue. LOL!!


    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might be Star of Bethlehem. I've considered it before, but it looks like it has multiple flowers on one stem, and I don't think mine do that. I'll have to wait and see. One of those pictures that you linked to, does seem to show the lighter stripe down the grass-like leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'd love to see a picture of that flower! We're starting from "scratch" around here, so I am actually planting all those "wildflowers" that someday will either bless somebody else or drive them nuts trying to get rid of it. In the meantime, I am looking forward to lots of flowers! And you have lilac already? Wow! My lilac is just budding out, no flowers yet. We have daffodils blooming like crazy along the rock wall, which I love.


    Blessings,

    Keri

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!