Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tip of the Day -- A Favorite Children's Book & Recipe

One of our family's favorite children's books is The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman.  We enjoy the whimsical story  since some of our children are finicky eaters.  We enjoy reading about another large family.  We enjoy seeing Mrs. Peters serve her family, and her children choosing to bless her for her birthday.

The warm and inviting illustrations of Marla Frazee truly bring the book to life.  They're rich with details and the beauty of family life.  I love that when you look around the Peters' family home, you don't see a TV, or any video games, or a multitude of toys.  You see books, wooden blocks, more books, and a cello.  It makes me wish I could see what books they're reading. You see a family that loves being together, and serving each other.  You see laundry being folded on the table.  You see the natural mess that a large family in a small home creates during the day.  And in the end, you see a family working together to take care of their home and family.

The book is humorous.  The artwork is humorous.  I enjoy reading it as much as my children enjoy hearing it.  And I love to sit and look at the pictures.  The book doesn't mention school at all, but I like to imagine they're a homeschool family like us.

I was excited when I found out that the author, Mary Ann Hoberman, had created a recipe for the Famous Mrs. Peters' Birthday Cake.   We will be baking it for Father's Day this weekend, even though it was originally designed to bless the mother in the story.  We're all looking forward to trying it.

I hope you can find a copy of this book at your library, or book store, to enjoy with your family.

April E.  (ElCloud Homeschool) is a Homeschool Mom of 6.  She has homeschooled for over 7 years, and enjoys sharing the things she's learned in her homeschool journey with others. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind, I had a mom ask me about free stuff that I use off of the net (most of the stuff I use is free..hehe), and I redirected her to your entry about free curricula. Can't beat free!!


    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love that book here!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!