Monday, June 11, 2007

Tip of the Day -- Finding New Uses For a Common Item

Today's tip isn't about homeschooling.  Today's tip is for our other job as homeschool parents -- housekeeper.  But it can help with cleaning up after art projects gone awry.

One of the all-purpose wonder items I've grown to love is baking soda.  It seems I am constantly finding new uses for it, besides baking.  We use it for so many things, we've begun buying it in a 4 lb. box.  Here are some uses I've personally tried:

  • sprinkle it on my stove top and use a damp dish cloth to clean the buildup around the burners

  • sprinkle it on my counters and use a damp dish cloth to clean away stains

  • sprinkle it in my sink and use a damp dish cloth to clean away grease and other grime, or soap scum in the bathroom

  • dissolve in boiled water and (after cooling) use it to swab out a baby's mouth when it has thrush

  • dissolve it in water and use it like a mouthwash when I'm having gum problems

  • make a paste with water and use it to brush my teeth, occasionally

  • dissolve it in water and pour it over my hair to remove build up

  • add it to a shampoo bottle to work as a clarifying shampoo

  • mix it with conditioner or honey to form a paste and use as a scalp scrub

  • mix it with water, facial cleanser, or facial moisturizer to form a paste and use to exfoliate my face

  • sprinkle it in the diaper pail to absorb odors

  • open a box and store it in the fridge to absorb odors

  • sprinkle it on a carpet (house or car) and let sit awhile before vacuuming to remove odors

  • sprinkle it in the cat litter box to absorb odors

  • add 1/4 - 1 cup  when washing my cloth diapers to help remove odors and soap build up

  • make a paste with water and use it to scrub my dirty grimy light blue kitchen trash can -- and remind me not to buy a light colored trash can again

  • and last week's new discovery!!  sprinkle it on the maple dining room table and scrub gently with a wet wash cloth to remove permanent marker.  I'm so glad it worked!


I'm sure that others have used baking soda in ways I have not yet tried, and I'm sure that I'll discover new uses for it over time, as well.  For instance, I've heard that a little baking soda dissolved in water can help relieve indigestion, but I haven't tried it.

April E.  (ElCloud Homeschool) is a Homeschool Mom of 6.  She has homeschooled for over 7 years, and enjoys sharing the things she's learned in her homeschool journey with others.

1 comment:

  1. JacqueDixonSoulRestESJune 9, 2007 at 10:37 AM

    I know I've never commented before, but I am hosting the 2nd Carnival of Homesteading, and I thought this post (or something like it) would be great! So I am officially inviting you to submit something homestead-y.

    I'm not sure if you have participated in the COH before, but it is run pretty much on the same manner.

    If you are interested, I posted the info on my blog. My homestead blog is at hsb2 and my url is jacquedixon.


    Blessings!

    -Jacque

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!