One of the all-purpose wonder items I've grown to love is baking soda. It seems I am constantly finding new uses for it, besides baking. We use it for so many things, we've begun buying it in a 4 lb. box. Here are some uses I've personally tried:
- sprinkle it on my stove top and use a damp dish cloth to clean the buildup around the burners
- sprinkle it on my counters and use a damp dish cloth to clean away stains
- sprinkle it in my sink and use a damp dish cloth to clean away grease and other grime, or soap scum in the bathroom
- dissolve in boiled water and (after cooling) use it to swab out a baby's mouth when it has thrush
- dissolve it in water and use it like a mouthwash when I'm having gum problems
- make a paste with water and use it to brush my teeth, occasionally
- dissolve it in water and pour it over my hair to remove build up
- add it to a shampoo bottle to work as a clarifying shampoo
- mix it with conditioner or honey to form a paste and use as a scalp scrub
- mix it with water, facial cleanser, or facial moisturizer to form a paste and use to exfoliate my face
- sprinkle it in the diaper pail to absorb odors
- open a box and store it in the fridge to absorb odors
- sprinkle it on a carpet (house or car) and let sit awhile before vacuuming to remove odors
- sprinkle it in the cat litter box to absorb odors
- add 1/4 - 1 cup when washing my cloth diapers to help remove odors and soap build up
- make a paste with water and use it to scrub my dirty grimy light blue kitchen trash can -- and remind me not to buy a light colored trash can again
- and last week's new discovery!! sprinkle it on the maple dining room table and scrub gently with a wet wash cloth to remove permanent marker. I'm so glad it worked!
I'm sure that others have used baking soda in ways I have not yet tried, and I'm sure that I'll discover new uses for it over time, as well. For instance, I've heard that a little baking soda dissolved in water can help relieve indigestion, but I haven't tried it.
April E. (ElCloud Homeschool) is a Homeschool Mom of 6. She has homeschooled for over 7 years, and enjoys sharing the things she's learned in her homeschool journey with others.