Friday, August 10, 2007

Well, that explains it ... non-ripening tomatoes

I've been waiting and waiting for my huge load of green tomatoes to turn red.  Every day I look for a change, and see none.  It seemed very weird.  Steve said maybe the late freeze this Spring was at fault, but we planted late.  So I finally googled "non-ripening tomatoes" and found a very helpful article.

www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/tomatoesnotripening.html

They aren't turning red, because the red pigment is only created when temps are below 85*, which ours hasn't been for weeks. 

So, I guess I'll start picking the biggest ones to ripen indoors.  Frustrating!  I wish I'd looked it up sooner, so I could have been enjoying tomatoes sooner, instead of waiting and waiting and waiting.

But now I know, and it will be a good reminder to plant tomatoes early in the future.

EDITED TO ADD:  I thought I had the solution, but I guess I'm just being impatient.  I double-checked.  We planted them June 12 (very late!) and this variety takes 70 days to maturation.  So, we still aren't there yet.  But if we still have no red tomatoes by the 22nd, I'm picking them!  I have picked two small orange tomatoes off the plants, a couple weeks ago.  Not sure why we haven't had more, unless it's the heat, after all.

Blessings,
April

4 comments:

  1. Do you by chance live in North Georgia? My tomatoes are ripening very slowly as well. I have hundreds of green ones, however!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we planted our tomatoes really late too. All I have is small little green tomatoes right now. I'll have to remember to plant mine earlier also.


    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Jenn4him again signed in under my nature blog's ID. I just wanted to tell you that I've linked your post to my nature blog post regarding my tomatoes. Thank you again. You have helped me solve a great mystery.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing the interesting tidbit about temperature causing the pigment to change.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!