Monday, September 24, 2007

Home from a quick farmhouse trip ...

We headed to the farmhouse Friday night.  We had several reasons we felt we needed to go.  One was to get the new looonnnggg table we were given from Freecycle out of our living room, and into the farmhouse dining room where it fits better.  The other was to visit the military base Steve is going to be working at, as a civilian.  The base was having some special events on Saturday, which were open to the public.  And the final reason was to do some planning and cleaning in preparation of moving.

It was a good weekend.  Despite our wood table getting rained on at first before we put a tarp over it, it arrived with minimal damage.  Thankfully, I only have a handful of bruises to show for helping carry it.  I did tell Steve if we ever move away from the farmhouse, he has to find a man to help carry this table.  I've done it twice, and that's enough for me.   It was so nice to be able to fit all 8 of us at the table this weekend, and it's wonderful to know we have more leaves to add for company.

We enjoyed our time on the military base.  I grew up in the military, and it was fun to be back on a base.  It brought back many fond memories.  Steve was able to visit with 3 of the people he'll be working with, and we were able to meet them for the first time, as well.  We visited the museum, which was really wonderful.  I want to go back when it's less crowded.

I was able to measure rooms at the farmhouse and compare them with the furniture measurements I'd taken.  I think I have a plan to fit everything in ... at least most of it.  There are a few stray items I'll have to experiment with once we're moved in.  I'm almost done with choosing paint colors, too. 

We ended up chasing down a new electrical issue while we were there, though, and didn't manage to get any cleaning done.    Just planning, talking, measuring, and cleaning up our mess from this weekend.  

We worshiped at the new church we'll be joining yesterday morning.  Steve's family attended this church when he was living there as a child, and he still has some friends there.  He also has a 3rd cousin (or is it 1st cousin twice removed?) that attends there.  Our visit went well ... we've visited before, but knowing we'll be moving very soon made this visit different.  The children went in with a better attitude than they've been expressing about switching churches, and they all said they enjoyed it.  18 mo L went right into the new nursery without any problems, although I didn't convince 3 yo M to go in.  We'll have to work on that.  Actually, he's fast approaching children's church age, anyway.

Before we left, we stopped in to visit Steve's Grandma at the nursing home.  We finally gave her the news she's been waiting 2.5 years to hear ... that we're moving in.  I think she still wishes we could move sooner, though.  I guess I'd better start packing, so we don't have to move later, instead.

Blessings,
April

3 comments:

  1. You are a winner of the Terrestria Chronicles Contest on the HSB Company Porch! Please e-mail me so that we can send you your prize. Tia-at-TheHomeschoolMagazine-dot-com.


    Tia Linschied

    Senior Editor of HSB

    ReplyDelete
  2. JacqueDixonSoulRestESSeptember 25, 2007 at 9:58 AM

    Jocelyn just asked me what's wrong and why I have tears in my eyes. I am so excited for you. The part about going to the nursing home to tell Grandma sealed it with the tears for me.

    I miss living by family. sigh :(

    blessings as you pack!!

    hugs, Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you that all things are going well! Can't wait to hear about things when you are moved!


    In Him, Eva

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!