Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pre-move doldrums


You probably think I've been busy packing, and that's why I haven't been blogging.  Well, I did pack for two days last week.  But then I ran out of boxes.  I now have one mostly empty bookshelf, one partly emptied bookshelf, and one partly empty toy shelf.  That's it.  Oh, and a measly stack of boxes and stuff in the younger kids' bedroom.  I mean, it comes nearly to the top of the window in that room, and has provided a nice mountain for the children's toys to play on, but it's still measly in comparison with all that remains to be packed.

So, what have I been doing?  Not much.  I haven't been reading, because I shouldn't be reading.  I shouldn't be relaxing and enjoying a good book.  I returned all my good books to the library and now I'm intentionally "not reading".  I'm not being very productive, but I can console myself with the fact that I'm not wasting time by reading.  I'm just finding more subtle ways to waste time.

I need to grade several weeks worth of math for the three girls, and supervise their corrections, so we can neatly wrap up school for awhile.  I should have had their grading completed at the beginning of the week, but I've been procrastinating. 

It's the doldrums.  The tense moments of waiting to find out if Steve was going to be offered the job, and the even more tense moments of waiting to find out if Steve would accept the job, and not change his mind, are over.  But our moving date is still 37 days away, which isn't close enough for adrenaline and deadline pressure to kick in. 

So that leaves me wandering around aimlessly, staring at myself in the mirror, or out the window, or at the television, or at the computer screen ... not reading, not grading, and not doing much of anything.

So, now you know ... my little secret.  I can't even claim that I'm getting organized making lists, because I haven't started that yet, either.  Maybe I'm in denial of all the work that lies ahead of me.  Maybe I'm just eternally optimistic that it won't be that bad.  Maybe I'm just lazy.   I don't know.

Oh, I *can* say I'm potty training my 3 yo.  This was not my idea of perfect timing, but Sunday, he made it abundantly clear that he was ready to potty train.  It's going really well, actually, and he has amazed us with his readiness and willingness.  (He's been ready for awhile, but unwilling.)  So far, this is the easiest potty training experience we've had.  He does great all day and night, although we've had two evenings of "accidents" as bedtime approached.  So I need to be more diligent to remind him to go in the evenings. 

We usually use candy to reward for potty training.  To be honest, he hasn't needed the candy treats since the second day.  He just goes, and forgets to ask me for candy.  We are keeping a chart, though, and he gets a sticker for each day he is accident-free.  When he has 7 stickers in a row, he's going to be rewarded with a new toy.  We've never done that before, but I made that promise to him a couple months ago, when he was being unwilling to try, and so now I need to keep my promise.  But like I said, this is the easiest one to potty train so far, so even though I can say I'm potty training him, it's not taking much effort on my part. 

Which still leaves me wandering around with the mindless doldrums, accomplishing very little.  *blush*  I need to get my act together.  I need to get some boxes.

Blessings,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!