Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Leaving a Legacy of Love

Steve's parents and siblings were here a few weeks ago to celebrate his Grandmother's birthday.  It was a wonderful celebration of her life, and her love for her family.   It was fun to pour out our love on her, too.

Sadly, she died this weekend.  We are both thankful she didn't suffer, and shocked that she is gone without a warning.  None of us were able to be with her as she passed.  She was just gone.

And now his family is returning, including his Uncle and cousins.  We are grieving the loss of the family matriarch, and yet rejoicing in the legacy of love she left behind. 

When we first moved into this house, I wanted to make it all mine, to remove all vestiges of it having been Grandpa and Grandma's home.  I didn't want it to be "Grandma's bedroom", but "my bedroom".  I didn't want Grandma's color schemes and decor left behind.  Now, there were many things I appreciated about the home, but the color choices, the carpets, the drapes, and the lamps were not some of those things.  

We were able to make some small changes, but have not been able to repaint  as we originally planned.   But over time, I've come to just accept the house as it is.  I'm still looking forward to painting and replacing the kitchen flooring, but I have also learned to love our new home as it is.  And we continually find new ways that our land and home charm us.  We are blessed to be here, and we are thankful. 

We are glad to be living in the heritage and legacy that Steve's grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-great-grandparents built for us.  I pray we leave a similar legacy of love behind us:  love for God, love for the land, and love for each other.

Trusting in Him,
April

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your sudden loss, but rejoicing with you that you can be delight in her legacy and become a part of it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Losing loved ones is never easy especially when you're not really prepared for it.


    Are you living on land that was your great grandparents. That sounds really neat.


    May God bless the families as they gather together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DixonContestBlogMay 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM

    Hello there-

    This is Rachel for the Dixon Contest Blog. I am the daughter of Jacque Dixon, and we blog with you on HSB2 as well.


    I was just wondering if you knew of any contests or giveaways I might post about at the blog. If so, would you mind leaving a comment, with a link for me to check out? That would be a great help.


    There will also be the most recent Carnivals posted at the blog, if you are looking for a Carnival to spend the day in. :)


    Much Thanks,

    Miss Rachel

    Dixon Contest Blog Manager

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!