Thursday, October 9, 2008

How to stay humble ...

Have a four year old.  Yes, that will do it.

Tuesday we were preparing for homeschool group.  I looked at my 4 year old and saw white undershirt (his favorite shirt lately) and knew it was stained, but figured oh well.  Then I saw blue jeans and cowboy boots.  Okay, that'll do, I thought.  Arrive at homeschool group and take a closer look.  Cowboy boots are wearing out in one toe ... oops!  Blue jeans have a hole in the knee ... double oops!  Tshirt is not only stained, but has several small pinholes in the front of it ... triple oops!  Oh well, at that point there wasn't anything I could do about it.  So, my ragmuffin and I attended homeschool group, and patronized the library before going home. 

Wednesday, he was in a MOOD ... and not a good one.  I knew before we left for church that he was not going to be obedient enough to go to his class.  I'd need to keep him with me.  What I didn't know was how miserable that hour sitting in the car was going to be.  (I had intended to take him, 2 yo L, and baby G to an empty room ... but he fought against that.)  Then we arrived home and more tantrums over bedtime snack arose.  He's determined to learn the hard way that Mommy means what she says ... and to make us all miserable in the meantime.

Then, he was awake twice in the night, whining and fussing.  Plus the 2 yo woke up once in the night.  And Baby G decided to live up to his nickname twice ... Mister Grunt ... so I had to take him out to the living room to rock him to sleep where his grunts wouldn't wake up Steve or 2 yo L.

It wasn't a restful night, and I was not a pleasant Mommy with the whining 4 yo at 1:30 and 3:30.  And I laid there thinking some not so nice thoughts about my dear hardworking husband who had gone to bed at 10 pm because he didn't feel well.  He kept asking me to take his temperature to see if he had a fever, which he didn't.  I'm sure I'm not the first wife to sit and think some of those thoughts in similar circumstances. 

At least things look better by the light of the day, after some coffee and iced tea.  But by evening, I'll be dragging, living on caffeine and chocolate. 

This too shall pass, right? 

And just to encourage me, and anyone else who has had a week like mine with a 4 yo, I'm posting some of my favorite encouraging quotes.

"The most important occupation on earth for a woman is to be a real mother to her children. It does not have much glory to it; there is a lot of grit & grime. But there is no greater place of ministry, position, or power than that of a mother."  – Phil Whisenhunt

“Bricks and mortar make a house, but the laughter of children makes a home”    – Irish Blessing

“The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes.”  – Harold B. Lee (1899-1973)

"Homegrown children take a lot of hard work -- and sometimes "it ain't pretty."  Other times, it's breathtaking."  ~~ Passionate Housewives Desperate For God, pg. 21

“Biblical motherhood means sacrifice, selfless love, and faithful dedication.  It means we’re there with our families – body, mind, and spirit.” ~~ Passionate Housewives Desperate For God, pg. 21

“What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God.  We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow.” ~~ Martin Luther

At least their hugs and kisses and sweet smiles this morning help me forget the frustration of the night before.  I know God makes them cute for their own self-preservation.  They're easy to forgive, and fatigued Mommy brains forget quickly, too.

Trusting in Him,
April

1 comment:

  1. Oh, April, how I needed those words of encouragement this evening, too! Thank you!

    My own 4 yr. old is a challenge...very sweet and loving and smart as a whip...all which make him somehow think he is entitled to his own opinions and decisions on more than one occasion this week! Add to that his 3 and 5 yr. old siblings and the 7 mo. old baby he can't keep his hands off (he carries him around the house, I guess to have his own fan club at his beck and call) and it has been a WEEK! Whew! Hang in there, sister, and you and I will both survive this period in our lives!

    Love,

    Jennifer in New Orleans

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!