Friday, February 20, 2009

The birds are back!

We had less birds wintering here this year than last year.  I've missed my little junco friends and the cardinals I enjoyed last winter.  I've missed the wood peckers, too.  But they're back!  For the past week, my little junco friends have been everywhere.  I've seen woodpeckers and cardinals.  Today I saw 6 robins! 

In the quiet mornings, I hear the birds singing through the closed windows.  What a beautiful sound!  They're back a couple weeks early this year, but I'm so glad to see them and hear them. 

The juncos are just passing through on their way north, but I'll enjoy them while they're here.  I guess it's time to start planning our garden.

Today in our Beyond Five In A Row (volume 3) lessons, we were studying The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden.  Migration was the science topic today; what a timely lesson!  I love those serendipitous homeschooling moments.  Providence!

We're also beginning Apologia's Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day science textbook.  Those bird and bug lessons are going to be fun as Spring arrives here in Kansas.

I love homeschooling, and I love spring.  I can't wait to be able to turn off the extra propane heater in the kitchen and put away the little electric heaters.

With the arrival of spring, we also have the arrival of kittens.  Our Persian is due to have kittens in 10-11 days.  We've set up her "nursery" in the kitchen and will start shutting the kitchen door at night, to keep her from giving birth somewhere else.  She's huge and the kids are hoping for extra kittens this time.  She usually only has 2-3 kittens.  She's never had more than 3, but they're hoping.

Is spring arriving in your area yet?

Trusting in Him,
April

2 comments:

  1. My daughter put a bird feeder in our front yard and we've had many visitors this winter, but I must say we mostly see squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been really cold here in the mountains of WV, but I am seeing and hearing more birds. We have a birdfeeder set up in our back yard, so I'm getting to enjoy watching several varieties. Also, we have a pond near our house, and sometime around early April the "peepers" start singing at night - a sure sign of spring! I can't wait to hear them this year - I am SO ready for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!