Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another first with our cattery

I'm losing one of the kittens.  The breech one is just failing to thrive.  I started bottle feeding him (well, syringe, actually) on Friday, but he's still losing weight and just won't take enough milk from his Mom or the syringe to survive.  Friday night I had hope he was improving.  Yesterday I expected him to die overnight.  He's still hanging in there this morning, but only took one little medicine syringe full of formula.  The types that come with the kid tylenol bottles, I mean.  So, maybe 1 mL (1/5 tsp.) of formula.  If that.  How much longer will he waste away?  It just breaks my heart, but I actually think he has brain damage from being breech.  I have no clue how long he was stuck in the birth canal, or how long his placenta was detached, depriving him of fresh oxygen.  sigh.

We've had a stillborn kitten before, and we had one with a defect where some of its intestines were outside its body.  The vet put that one to sleep for us.  But we've never had one just waste away like this.  It's not a first I'm happy about, either. 

Trusting in Him,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!