That's what my kids have been hearing lately when they spell their spelling words correctly. It's not because I've lost my marbles, either. That's the sound we chose for correct answers in the SpellQuizzer software we've been using.
- Do your kids have lists of spelling words to review each week?
- Do you keep a list of your child's trouble words?
- Does your child need extra review in spelling?
- Do you or your child get tired of the daily review process?
- Does your child's hand get tired of writing out spelling words?
- Does your child struggle with the writing process?
If you said yes to any of those questions, then you should take a look at SpellQuizzer. SpellQuizzer is a spelling software that allows you to input your child's spelling lists, with either vocal cues or written clues. Then your child can review their spelling lists at the computer, without your help. Input the lists once, and they're ready for your child to review again and again.
So while you're reading novels and eating bon-bons, they can review their spelling words. Or I suppose you could do something productive like folding laundry or baking bread, instead.
- Children can review their spelling lists without Mom quizzing them daily
- Encourages keyboarding skills
- Fun for children to use
- Easy to use, for parents and children
- You can import or export lists easily
- Missed words can be repeated at the end of the list
- Children can input their own lists, as an additional step in the learning process
- SpellQuizzer is self-correcting
- Recording vocal spelling cues works well for those not reading well
- Typing the spelling words provides welcome relief for the child who struggles with handwriting or hand cramps
- Program can be passworded so children can't edit lists
- Affordable, non-consumable spelling program
- Can be used in conjunction with any spelling program
- Can be used to create personalized "trouble words" lists
- Can be used to review vocabulary, foreign language, or capitals of states and countries
- Children can review old lists, as well as new lists
- With a microphone and speakers, you can record sentences for your child
- If you don't have a microphone or speakers, you can enter text clues for your child instead
- Limits daily interaction with parents
- Increases a child's time at the computer daily
Steps to enter words:
- Click on "Create a Spelling List"
- Type your spelling word into the "Word to Add" box
- Click on "Start"
- When it starts flashing "Recording" speak into the microphone and say the word and a sentence
- Click on "Stop"
- Click on "Play Back" to be sure you achieved a quality recording
- If you aren't using a microphone to record your words, enter a clue into the "Reminder Phrase" box
- Click on "Add Word"
- Repeat steps 2-7 for additional words
- Click "OK" when you are done with that spelling list
It's that simple!
Everyone was involved in recording spelling words at our house. Daddy and 2 year old L made it especially exciting! It's fun to hear Daddy's voice in the spelling program while he's away at work, or to hear younger siblings adding their own sentences to your spelling quiz. We tried out our silly voices, and we still laugh at Daddy's silly sentence for the word Valentine. It was Daddy who chose the Yeee-haaaaw! sound for correct answers. I love hearing that and knowing my kids are getting their words right. (Although we may have to change it after awhile, so it doesn't drive us all crazy.)
SpellQuizzer is a simple, but effective, spelling program. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, but it works well!
SpellQuizzer can be bought for $29.95 for a single license, although there are discounts available for multiple licenses. You can view screenshots of the program at the SpellQuizzer website, or even a video demo. I highly recommend you take a look at the screenshots or demo to see how simple it really is. You can also download a free trial of this helpful spelling program.
So, if you're needing a little break in your week, and the bon-bons and novels are calling out to you ... check out SpellQuizzer.
Click the banner at the top to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.
Trusting in Him,