Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday Show & Tell at ElCloud Homeschool

These are some pictures taken around our house this week. 

First, we took pictures of our two Persian kittens we're trying to sell.  Aren't they beautiful?

our kittens
Trouble 1 and Trouble 2

Then I just had to take a picture of our very first egg at ElCloud Homestead!  Of course it came from the lone survivor guinea.  I guess we can't call her "Last Man Standing" anymore ... "Last Gal Standing" maybe.  And, we don't know how long it was out there before we found it, so we will be tossing it later today.  Literally.   We're going to go out and see how far 8 yo J  can throw it toward the burn pit.  PE class anyone?   I can't wait until our Ameraucana chicks actually start laying eggs for us.

first egg
yes, that is the color of my kitchen counter top

I guess we'll need to start watching the guinea enclosure more carefully to try to collect her eggs each day.  Trouble is, it also has fencing on top of it; so when I go in, I have to walk all hunched over.  I guess it's a good thing I've got little kids to do the dirty work for me.  *wink*





And the last picture was last night's supper.  I was so proud of myself for making home made chicken pot pies for the very first time, that I just had to take a picture of them.   They look beautiful to me!

chicken pot pies
the kids just don't know what they're missing!


Of course, half the kids hated them because the frozen veggies didn't get tender enough for their liking ... but they sure looked beautiful.  Steve and I (along with the oldest two girls) thought they were delicious.  I felt so "domestic" making home made pot pie ... kind of like the first time I made meatloaf successfully.  Don't ask me why, other than the fact that they are considered classic American meals.

I didn't use a recipe for it.  I just made up my own -- with chicken, cooked frozen veggies, cream of chicken soup, cheese, and onion.  One of them just has frozen mixed veggies in it, but the other one also has broccoli in it. 

I did cheat, though.  I used two rather old frozen pie crusts from my deep-freeze for the base, and then layered refrigerated crescent roll dough on top for the top crust.  It was yummy, and since the kids didn't like it that much, there's plenty of leftovers for lunch today! 


You can see more Friday Show and Tells over at Mary's (Canadagirl) @ Raising 4 Godly Men.

Trusting in Him,
April

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of good things happening on your homestead. We hope to get chickens next year. This year we are putting all our energy and money into our permenant water system. Your pies look soooooo yummy. It is one of my favorite dishes.


    Thanks for joining the fun !

    Blessings in Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. ThreeLittleLadiesMay 1, 2009 at 4:03 AM

    Way to go! I like your smorgasboard of show and tells today! I hope you can find good homes for your kittens. Neat about your chicken laying an egg! We will be getting chickens soon. My husband just bought the stuff yesterday to build the portable coop.


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pot pies! Congrads on making them.

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those fur babies are precious. I am a BIG cat fan. I hope you can find them good homes soon. (And make some money!) Your pot pies look deicious to me, as well. I love pot pie, although don't make it often as I try to avoid working too much in the kitchen. :-) I have found whole wheat pie crusts at our store's freezer that has me wanting to make some. Now I know what to do for the top crust. Also, you commented about the number of comments I get. I think I am blessed. I have made some really good friends and they are so sweet to leave me comments. Plus, I leave tons, tons, tons of comments! It's my hobby. :-)

    Have a blessed weekend.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't show those cats to my daughter! They're gorgeous. Love the crusty delights from the oven, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those kittens are adorable! We have a couple of chickens this year, but aren't getting any eggs yet. The pot pies look delicious. Gives me a great idea for dinner one night soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what cute kittens. I just read a short article in TOS about guineas. I hear they eat ticks. For that reason alone I'd like a few some day on our homestead to which we will be relocating one of these days.


    And I love chickens. It sounds like you should be blogging over on Homesteadblogger.com!


    My family loves chicken pot pie. And get this: there is even a "California Chicken Pot Pie." Guess what it's made from? Tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's similar to how I make my potpies.

    I love 'em, but my kids don't!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim from CanadaMay 1, 2009 at 6:05 PM

    I love the names for you kittens! They look like they live up to it, too.


    Congratulations on your first egg - it will likely make a great shot put for PE.


    Pot pie is a favourite in our house - even with my daughter. Your's do look beautiful.


    Great show and tell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the variety in your s and t! Your pot pies look fabulous! My kids don't care for them too much either...now if I left out the mixed veggies they would eat it but then we would have to call it a potatoe and chicken pie!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!