Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A new way to prepare spaghetti squash

When I first decided to grow spaghetti squash three years ago, I hadn't ever eaten one before.  But we decided to give it a try.  I had to learn when to harvest them, and how to prepare them.  I googled and asked around, and started preparing them by cutting them in half, placing olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic on the halves.  Then I baked them with the cut side facing up.  I had also read of baking them upside down in water, but I don't recall trying it that way.

This year, we decided to grow them again, and I had to remind myself of the cooking details.  This time, I looked in my Betty Crocker cookbook and saw that she recommended cooking them with the cut side up, but sitting in water, and covered with foil.  I tried that and it worked fairly well, but it was hard to do more than one spaghetti squash and have water in the pan.  I used a bar pan and sloshed water everywhere when I put four halves into the oven.

We were giving away spaghetti squashes this weekend -- well, my husband was because I was home with some sick kids.  Anyway, he was informed of two other ways to cook them.  One lady said she microwaves hers.  I haven't researched that option yet, but the other lady said she boils hers and it's faster and easier.

So we tried that last night.  I washed the spaghetti squash, searched around until I found a stock pot large enough for it to fit in with water, and boiled it.  Once the water reached boiling, I set the timer for 25 minutes.  I checked it out when the timer went off, and saw that the shell had cracked open in several places.  I pressed it with a wooden spoon and it dented in.  I've never done this before, so I let it cook awhile longer, just to be safe.

When we took it out of the boiling water (we poured the water into the sink first) we were able to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and peel the shell right off.  It was easier and more tender than when I've baked them.  We had to season it AFTER it was cooked, but that's no big deal.

We also tried a second spaghetti squash with butter, cinnamon and sugar, in the oven ... per another friend's suggestion.  Most of the kids disliked that, so Steve and I have lots of leftovers to nibble on in the next few days.  At least it's healthy.

Trusting In Him,
April

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!