Thursday, December 3, 2009

Book Review: Mom NEEDS Chocolate by Debora M. Coty

At the time that the FIRST WIldcard blog tour for Debora Coty's book posted, I hadn't received a copy.  I posted the first chapter, book summary, and author's biography in my blog tour post, but not a review.  (You can click on that link to read the first chapter of the book.)

They sent me another copy of the book, since the first one was lost in the mail.  I hadn't expected them to do so, but I am grateful they did.  This little hardcover book is refreshing.  To be honest, I hadn't known what to expect ... other than that it wasn't fiction. 

Mom NEEDS Chocolate contains 60 short chapters with humorous anecdotes from the author's life which she uses to make a spiritual point.  Each chapter begins with a Scripture verse and a quote.  It ends with a prayer, and 3 Faith In Action questions to help you apply the spiritual lesson of the chapter.  The short chapters both make me smile, and encourage me spiritually.  Debora has been very real in writing this book, and I can relate to her stories like being the sugar-holic in the airport surrounded by healthy eaters.

The title of this book caught my attention when it was offered for review.  What chocolate lover could resist that title?  But this book is more encouraging and comforting than even dark chocolate could be.  Debora has taken sixty different spiritual lessons and dipped them in the chocolate of humor to encourage us.  The short chapters uplift better than a chocolate treat savored quickly in the laundry room while hiding from the kids.  Although, you could probably enjoy your chocolate and a quick chapter before the kids need you to tie their shoes, wipe their noses, or answer a math question.

I was blessed by Mom NEEDS Chocolate.

Trusting In Him,
April

2 comments:

  1. To read while cooking and stirring or checking on something cooking or baking. Something which can be read in short, 5 minute snippets while wanting to stay close to steep tea, stir the morning oatmeal or scrambled eggs, or whatever. Only, will it make me hungry for chocolate? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it might make you crave chocolate. Better lock up the chocolate chips. I know when I get a craving and there isn't any chocolate in the house, the chocolate chips start disappearing. Unfortunately, my oldest daughters have also picked up on this habit. Now they disappear triple fast.


    April

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!