Monday, January 11, 2010

The Homesteading Carnival, January 11, 2010

It's a new year, and so far it's been a really cold one.  I'll be honest and admit that I don't like going outside when it's below 15 degrees ... or even below 20 degrees.  But the chickens and mouse-hunter cats are always waiting for me, so I do what needs to be done.  Unless my hubby is home, and he sweetly offers to take care of them.  Although I appreciate his gallantry, my rooster does not appreciate my husband entering the chicken barn.  I wonder if the rooster will live until the county fair.  I was considering entering him.

When it's cold outside, I just want to be comfortable and cozy inside with good food, good books, and warm blankets on my couch.

What better time to enjoy a hot bowl of Red Bean Soup?  Craft Stew has provided a recipe for Red Bean Soup that  looks delicious.

Michelle wants to help us by telling us how she is "Keeping Warm And Comfy With My Wood Stove."  That makes me wish I had a wood stove in my living room.

Wyldhouse Homestead is planning her garden and talking about companion planting in her post, "Is It Spring Yet?" 

Brenda Emmett of My Gardening Patch wants to help us plan our gardens by solving the annual puzzle:  "Which Seed Catalog To Choose From?"

While you're thinking about gardening, you might want to consider compost.  What about earthworm castings?  Michelle of Delightful Learning has a post full of information about earthworms:  "E is for Earl the Earthworm". 

Another important outdoor concern is your lawn.  It's a little late for us to winterize our lawn, since it's been buried under snow for over a month now, but Lawnboy has some tips on Winterizing Your Lawn that we might be able to use next year. 

If you're starting to think about the big Spring cleaning, Grandma Rosie has some tips on how to use baking soda to clean, and many other things, in her post: Sixty-six Uses For Baking Soda.

While you're in the kitchen looking for your baking soda, you might start thinking about cookbooks.  What are your favorite cookbooks?  What are your favorite cookbooks to give to others?  Jasmine Hall has a list of the "50 Best Cookbooks For the College Kid In Your Life".

Do you need some help learning to cook?  Angela Martin has a list of the 50 Best Blogs For A Complete Culinary Education

Tax time is coming, and it's a new year.  If you're thinking about your family's finances and their budget, we have two more articles that might help. 

Silicon Valley Blogger  has posted a review of YNAB budgeting software

The Smarter Wallet has shared a post by guest blogger, Carol H., on Managing Our Family Finances During A Jobless Recovery.

I hope you enjoy reading these articles in your cozy warm houses before you have to go out into the cold.  My seed catalogs have arrived, and it's time for my husband and I to start planning our garden, too.  It truly seems weird to be planning a garden with month-old snow covering everything, but we don't want another late start.

Have a great week and Happy Homesteading!

Trusting In Him,
April

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job, April! Thanks for the link! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job April!! :) Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!