Monday, May 24, 2010

Kregel Publications: Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure



We've heard about the Andrea Carter books by Susan K. Marlow for several years, but we hadn't read any of them.  When I found out that Kregel Publications was sending us the latest Circle C Adventure book to review, I knew I'd have a couple excited daughters.

Susan Marlow's Circle C Adventure series features Andi Carter, a young girl growing up on a California cattle ranch in the late 1800s.  Andrea Carter (Andi) always stumbles into trouble, though her intentions are good.   There are five books in the series, with a sixth releasing later this summer.



These paperback books are written for girls, age 8-12, although each book holds enough excitement that boys may enjoy them as well, especially with the cattle ranch setting.

Susan K. Marlow is a homeschool Mom, and she has written a wonderful series for pre-teens ... judging by Trouble with Treasure.   Her Christian faith is woven through the book naturally, as Andi learns to lean on God in her trials.  The story wasn't contrived to "make a point", but was very well-written with natural characters and an intriguing plot.

I read Trouble with Treasure quickly, caught up in the twists and turns of the exciting plot.  It was enjoyable, even though I'm not in the target audience.  I then handed it to my 10 year old daughter, who is in the target audience, and she couldn't put it down.    Her quote:  "It was exciting!  I want to read the rest of the books."
The Circle C Adventure series books are available from Kregel Publications, and The Old Schoolhouse store for $7.99 each.  They'd make an excellent addition to your family's bookshelf, or your Christmas and birthday shopping list.   They've just been added to my daughter's Christmas wish list!



This item was provided free for our review as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.  We received no other compensation, and this review is our honest opinion.  Click the TOS Homeschool Crew banner at the top to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.


Trusting In Him,
April

2 comments:

  1. Hi April,
    Logged in here as Andi rather than my Suzy Scribbles blog, as it's hard enough getting through the Upgrade with THIS blog and I haven't even attempted the SS blog yet. *sigh*

    Thanks for your fun and thorough review of Andi's adventures (that's so nice that you threw in a plug for the other books, as well). DId you know that Heidi Strawser's DD, Gracie, is featured on the cover of book 4, as the little Chinese girl? Yep, all of the covers feature homeschooled kids on them (the boy on Trouble with Treasure being my son, Ryan). It's been a fun, fun ride, and now that Andi's adventures (as a 6-year-old) are coming out for beginning readers in late fall, I'm finding those books are even MORE fun to write--mostly because they have b/w illustrations. So fun!

    I'm wondering, please, HOW you are managing to get all your old graphics up and running on your sidebars! Are there instructions somewhere to do the HTML, at last? I've felt like a real "Idiot Blogger" the past week and I've changed my template about three times.

    Anyway, thanks again for your kinds words and I'm glad you (and especially your DD) enjoyed the book!

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    Thanks for commenting on my review. We did really enjoy the book!

    I did write a blog post about how I got stuff back into my sidebars. BUT it seems it just isn't working right for some people still. They can follow the directions and still not get things in. I did discover that if an item is too wide for your sidebar, it won't appear. Also, javascript codes aren't yet working in the sidebars.

    Here's the blog post I wrote ... hope it helps!
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/elcloud/?p=783675

    April

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!