We've heard about the Andrea Carter books by Susan K. Marlow for several years, but we hadn't read any of them. When I found out that Kregel Publications was sending us the latest Circle C Adventure book to review, I knew I'd have a couple excited daughters.
Susan Marlow's Circle C Adventure series features Andi Carter, a young girl growing up on a California cattle ranch in the late 1800s. Andrea Carter (Andi) always stumbles into trouble, though her intentions are good. There are five books in the series, with a sixth releasing later this summer.
- Andrea Carter and the Long Ride Home -- 12 year old Andi's horse, Taffy, is stolen and Andi finds trouble while trying to regain her horse.
- Andrea Carter and the Dangerous Decision -- Andi has to make a life-or-death decision in this story as she tangles with an escaped convict.
- Andrea Carter and the Family Secret -- Andi learns about the sister she never knew she had in this third adventure.
- Andrea Carter and the San Francisco Smugglers -- Andi attends a girls' school in San Francisco, where she meets Lin Mei, a Chinese slave girl.
- Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure -- 14 year old Andi finds herself in jail with her friends at the beginning of this story. A trip to the mountains seems like a good escape, but it only brings them more trouble.
- Andrea Carter and the Price of Truth -- Andi has to decide whether to tell the truth about what she saw, and risks losing her beloved horse, Taffy. (releasing in August 2010)
These paperback books are written for girls, age 8-12, although each book holds enough excitement that boys may enjoy them as well, especially with the cattle ranch setting.
Susan K. Marlow is a homeschool Mom, and she has written a wonderful series for pre-teens ... judging by Trouble with Treasure. Her Christian faith is woven through the book naturally, as Andi learns to lean on God in her trials. The story wasn't contrived to "make a point", but was very well-written with natural characters and an intriguing plot.
I read Trouble with Treasure quickly, caught up in the twists and turns of the exciting plot. It was enjoyable, even though I'm not in the target audience. I then handed it to my 10 year old daughter, who is in the target audience, and she couldn't put it down. Her quote: "It was exciting! I want to read the rest of the books."
The Circle C Adventure series books are available from Kregel Publications, and The Old Schoolhouse store for $7.99 each. They'd make an excellent addition to your family's bookshelf, or your Christmas and birthday shopping list. They've just been added to my daughter's Christmas wish list!
This item was provided free for our review as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew. We received no other compensation, and this review is our honest opinion. Click the TOS Homeschool Crew banner at the top to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.
Trusting In Him,