Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ahh ... that tastes good!

Yesterday my order arrived from herbalcom.com.  It is the website where I order Red Raspberry Leaf (cut/sifted) in bulk for making my own pregnancy tea.  This morning, I dug out a couple large bowls and started mixing together the other herbs that I had in the freezer with about 2/3 lb. of Red Raspberry Leaf.

I don't have a precise recipe.  I start with a bowl full of Red Raspberry Leaf.  Then I add in  at least 1 cup each of nettles, oat straw, and alfalfa.  Today I tossed in about 3/4 cup of green tea, as well.   After I mix that well, I start adding in spearmint and peppermint until the tea smells good.  LOL!!  Usually I have to split it into two bowls before I am done adding ingredients.   When I'm done, I pour it into a large air-tight canister.

I use this mix to make iced pregnancy tea.  I don't care for it hot, as much, but I love to drink it iced.  It helps me to drink plenty of fluids during pregnancy and nursing, and also keeps my uterus toned and ready for birth.

When I'm ready to make my tea, I use a coffee filter to hold about 2/3 - 1 cup of loose tea.  I roll the edges in so the tea is caught inside, and place that inside my large tea ball.  (The tea ball alone allows tea leaves to get into the tea, so the coffee filter helps prevent that.)    I place the tea ball inside my tea pot, and then pour boiling water over  it.  I seal the tea pot and allow it to infuse for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).

After I have infused the tea, I pour it into my pitcher, and then fill the tea pot with cold water, allowing more tea to rinse out of the tea ball.  Once my pitcher is full, I  refrigerate, and enjoy.  It's a very light and refreshing drink, though I realize it isn't as strong as it it could be in hot form.   I drink more of it this way, though, than I would as a hot tea.


I've been out of Red Raspberry Leaf for a long time.  I had prepared a mix using all those herbs, and extra green tea, but it didn't have quite the same benefits of RRL.

I'm enjoying my new batch of pregnancy tea, and looking forward to many more cups, even after the baby arrives.

April E.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, April! I cannot believe how good the price is at herbalcom! And we thought we were getting it cheaply ;-) We do buy a green tea with actual dried raspberry pieces and mix it. And I have definitely not been steeping/infusing it long enough! Thanks for the post!

    Blessings,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!