Monday, July 26, 2010

FIRST Review: The Skin You're In by Nancy Rue

It is time for a FIRST Wild Card Tour book review! If you wish to join the FIRST blog alliance, just click the button. We are a group of reviewers who tour Christian books. A Wild Card post includes a brief bio of the author and a full chapter from each book toured. The reason it is called a FIRST Wild Card Tour is that you never know if the book will be fiction, non~fiction, for young, or for old...or for somewhere in between! Enjoy your free peek into the book!

You never know when I might play a wild card on you!

Today's Wild Card author is:


and the book:

The Skin You�re In: Discovering True Beauty

Zonderkidz (April 9, 2010)

MY THOUGHTS:


When my copy of� The Skin You're In arrived, I quickly read through it.� I was impressed with the way Nancy Rue handled issues of beauty, gently pointing girls to the true source of beauty inside, while still answering their questions about skin care, makeup, hair care, and fashion.�� She writes in a fresh way, directly to the pre-teen or young teen, without being condescending.

My 14 year old daughter and I had been discussing makeup and skin care a lot recently, so I handed it to her to read first.� It was next read by my 11 year old and 13 year old daughters, who more accurately represent its target audience.� We all enjoyed the book, and the conversations it sparked.�� It also reinforced the lessons I've tried to teach my daughters re: fashion, beauty, and God's Word.

***Special thanks to Pam Mettler of Zondervan for sending me a review copy.***
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:



Nancy Rue has written over 100 books for girls, is the editor of the Faithgirlz Bible, and is a popular speaker and radio guest with her expertise in tween and teen issues. She and husband Jim have raised a daughter of their own and now live in Tennessee.

Visit the author's website.

Product Details:

List Price: $7.99
Reading level: Ages 9-12
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Zonderkidz (April 9, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0310719992
ISBN-13: 978-0310719991

Press the browse button to view the first chapter:




4 comments:

  1. Thanks April!
    This book looks like something my almost 13 year old daughter will enjoy. Beauty, hair care, fashion ... all hot topics in our home these days!
    Blessings,
    Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sherry & Wendy and Jill Hart, Venture Gained. Venture Gained said: ElCloud Homeschool: Busy Minds, Busy Hands, Busy Feet » FIRST ... http://bit.ly/bVjqdV [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by on the blog walk to say "hi."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, April,
    I just wanted to let you know I donated a "Virtual Bag of school supplies" in your name--because you are an INCREDIBLE mom! http://faithfamilyandfun.com/?p=3860
    (I hope you are well and so is baby. I need to check up on the MRSA situation)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!