Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I've never had breast cancer.  It hasn't touched my life personally.  But it's hard not to think about the issue during this month of October, when everything is turning pink.   As I sat here nursing my newborn baby, I wondered how many of the awareness campaigns have talked about the effects of breastfeeding on reducing breast cancer risks.

None that I've seen so far this year.

I'm not going to go into great details here, because this isn't a medical blog, and I'm not a scientist.  But, I do know that studies have shown that breastfeeding is not only best for our baby's health, but also for the Mom's health.  It reduces breast cancer (and other reproductive cancer) risks.   It even reduces our daughters' risks of having breast cancer when they grow up.

So when I nurse my Baby V (and each of my other 4 daughters when they were young) I've not only reduced my chances of developing breast cancer, but I've reduced their chances of having it, as well.  And if they grow up and nurse their babies, then they reduce their chances even more.

Did you know that?  I knew it reduced my chances, but until I went looking for links to add to this post, I didn't realize it reduced my daughters' chances as well.

Here are just a few links about the benefits of breastfeeding, especially related to breast cancer:

There's more than one way to help prevent breast cancer and spread awareness.  I'm all for research to find cures for breast cancer, but I also think we need to do what we can to prevent it.  Breastfeeding is a simple way to do that, and it has so many other benefits as well.

Trusting In Him,
April E.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard that breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer, but not in daughters. That's really neat. Both my mother and my aunt (my dad's sister) have had breast cancer in the last 3 years. (They're both doing fine now) I believe that both of their cases were at least partially due to the long-term use of hormone replacement therapy. That's also something I don't think women are warned about enough.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!