Tuesday, November 16, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge ~ Day 16


Last night I heard on the news that today is National Adoption Day.   Although I had other plans for today's gratitude challenge, I immediately changed my mind.

I am so thankful that my parents adopted my baby sister nearly 20 years ago.   I was 17 when my parents asked us how we'd feel about adopting a baby.  I was so excited about the prospect of a new baby in the family.  Then the wait began.

At the time it seemed like forever.  It really did.  But compared to the wait that I know many endure to adopt, it was a flash.  It was only a matter of months before Sarah came home to us.  She was about to turn 1 month old, yet she was smaller than most newborns.  She was beautiful.

Just 8 months later, I was off to college.  College was so far from home that I only got to come home for Christmas and summer.  I watched Sarah grow up from a distance, but I am still blessed to be her big sister.

I love you Sarah!  I thank God for your presence in our family!

Visit Garden of Learning to read more Gratitude Challenge posts.


April E.

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. I'm glad that your sister came into your life. :) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad there are people like your parents, and the others who adopt. I hope to adopt one day, too. God bless you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. You are so blessed to have grown up in a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Dora Lee ( Phillips ; ) WhitneyNovember 17, 2010 at 3:46 AM

    * I was blessed 2 room w/ an adopted young lady ( Julie Rathje = ) my 1st 2 yrs. of college on UNL's East Campus, in Fedde Hall, Room # 200 ! She was a JOY, & so was her adopted MOM ! = D * We were matched from a pre-housing survey of interests. We BOTH love PLANTS ! Every yr., she would start seeds in peat pots 4 her mom 2 transplant in2 their farm garden. She had a fluorescent light, hanging under her upper bunk, 2 keep the seedlings from stretching 4 light. They were always STRONG & HEALTHY ! Julie loved making things ! She always lined up FUN things 4 us 2 do ! She was studying 2 B a Home Economics teacher. She did her student teaching at Nebr. City's HS. She earned her Masters degree from KSU, & married Mark Bejot. He became the superintendant of schools at Dodge City, KS. They had 2 daughters. Julie bravely fo't COLON cancer for 5 yrs., b4 succombing 2 its ravages at ~ age 40. Mark married the woman who cared 4 them, during Julie's illness. He's now spt. at WaKeeney, where 2 of my nieces attend. Larissa saw Lorinda ( Julie's eldest = ) when she was workin' at Bath & Body Works in the Hays mall. The last time I saw Julie, she'd invited us 2 their home in Spearville ( a small town East of " Dodge " ) She showed me the gold quilt she'd sown 2 present 2 her parents at their 50th wedding anniversary. She said that it'd be a tear-jerker 4 her mom. She loved making nice things 4 others. She made her wedding dress, & all our bridesmaid dresses. I was pleased, when she asked me 2 B her maid-of-honor. She was personal attendant at our wedding, since we had our siblings stand up w/ us ( I'm the 8th of 9 + = ) Julie is remembered fondly & dearly by many ! She taught special ed. at Dodge.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!