Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Family Soup Pot


Shortly after Steve and I were married, we began collecting RevereWare steel pans with copper bottoms at yard sales and auctions.  I loved the 5 qt. dutch oven/soup pot that we acquired.  It became my most-used pan.  I used it to cook chili, spaghetti, stew, soups, stove-top tuna casserole, etc.   It was used several times each week.

But, as our family grew, we no longer had leftovers when cooking in this 5 qt. pot.  And we couldn't feed guests in addition to our family.  I began cooking a second pot of soup (if we had company) in a low-quality 7 qt. pot that I'd picked up at a yard sale.  The metal was very thin,  and I had to be very careful not to let soups burn in that pan.

I was hoping for a new 7 or 8 qt. quality stock pot to replace my favorite 5 qt. pan.  But the price was high.  I couldn't see myself paying over $40 for one pan!  So I just kept putting it off.  I was thankful that the 5 qt. pan could still feed my family, even if it didn't provide leftovers.

But, God provided for our family this Fall!!  At a multi-family yard sale, we found a heavy steel soup pot with a thicker bottom for $7.  (In the end, we bargained $3 off the lot of items we were buying, so I told Steve it's my $4 pan instead of $7.)

It's  a Wolfgang Puck 8 qt.  stock pan with a glass lid that has  a steam-vent hole.  It does have a dent near the bottom of the pan, but I don't care.  It can cook enough soup for my family and a few guests ... or for my family, with leftovers.  And I love the steam-vent that means I no longer have to tilt my pan lid a bit to allow steam to escape.


I'm looking forward to lots of nice hot soups and stews simmering in our new pot this winter, filling the house with their aroma.    My sons may not be happy, as they aren't soup lovers, but the rest of us will be.  Yummy!



Do you have a favorite pan?  Or a favorite type of foods for cold weather?



Visit Garden of Learning to read more Holiday Bliss posts.


April E.

5 comments:

  1. That is wonderful! We love soup, too.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love it when things fall into place that way? That's a great pot. I am a big fan of Revereware, myself, and the nice copper bottoms. Only recently have I been able to start adding really nice pieces, but I often go through the stores admiring the super nice quality things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about sharing some of your favorite soup recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sally, you need to share some soup recipes. I love when I find a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of my favorite soups aren't really recipes. They vary each time I make them, and are just the result of trial and error over the years ... learning what my family and I prefer. I need to branch out and and t y more recipes, but was discouraged by previous attempts and the kids' reactions. LOL!!

    I'm not going to be blogging much for the rest of the month, but I'll remember this for January. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!