Monday, April 18, 2011

If ...

If is a little word, but it can be dangerous.  When we are struggling with life's difficulties, if can lead to discontentment when combined with the word onlyIf only ...

  • life were different.

  • we made more money.

  • I had more time to myself.

  • I wasn't homeschooling.

  • the kids were still in school.

  • I had a career.

  • I were a better mom, wife, person.

  • my family, husband, kids were more ...


 

If by itself can be a dreaming word, a thinking ahead word.  But, it can also lead to disappointment when the ifs don't come to fruition.  I try to avoid the ifs and especially the if onlys.

 

But today the Homeschool Crew is discussing what our dream job would be IF we weren't homeschooling.  I'm not saying "if only".

 

I'm not sure how to answer that.  I never had ONE dream job.  I had a series of careers I considered, and all either involved caring for children in some way (teacher, social worker, mother, children's pastor) or being artistic (singer, writer, artist, designer).   Taken from that perspective, I have my dream job.  I am caring for children daily, and I am using my creative abilities in my own home.  I get to work with other children through church ministries, as well.

 

But, the question is what if you weren't homeschooling.  I guess the one big dream that has carried on through all my other career dreams, into motherhood and homeschooling, is to be a writer.  Of course, every writer dreams of publishing a book.   Maybe someday I'll write a book.  For now, I just write here on my blog.

 

And thankfully, this isn't a dream that I have to give up while homeschooling.  I could still be a writer AND a homeschool mom, IF I were more organized and brave.  Maybe someday ...

 

To read what other Homeschool Crew members have to say about their dream jobs, visit the Homeschool Crew Blog Cruise.


 

April E.

8 comments:

  1. [...] April E. @ ElCloud Homeschool: Busy Minds, Busy Hands, Busy Feet says If… [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post April. Too many if only's and we're complaining and not content. I love what people have done with this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even realize I loved writing until I got on the TOS Crew! Such a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved writing and have been encouraged to write a book too. But for now, that can wait.....waiting for more than just the kids to be grown, but I have to get brave enough too :) I didn't realize how much I enjoy writing until this blogging business started (I've kept a journal for years...so this shouldn't surprise me).

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! "If" can be a dangerous word. It can get our hearts into trouble. I also love to write and it's so wonderful to couple it with homeschooling. I'm sailing through on the Blog Cruise and now I'm a follower!
    God Bless,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If" is dangerous, but I'm glad to see that your "if" is also your reality. ;) I love to write too, more so now that I blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, April--and so true about those "ifs." I, for one, am glad that you are writing. Although these are busy days for both of us with so many little ones to educate and care for, if the Lord wills it, someday He may lead us both to write more. Until then, I think we can both be content in the task before us. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!