Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Considering God's Creation: a creative biblical approach to natural science





When we began homeschooling preschool in the late 90s, we joined an online message board with others using unit studies.  As we moved into the elementary years, I noticed that many of the Charlotte Mason style homeschools were using the same science curriculum.  Considering God's Creation by Eagle's Wings was recommended over and over.

 

At the time, we were using a unit study with science included, so I didn't purchase Considering God's Creation myself.  I considered it, but we were just starting out in our homeschool years and needing to purchase new math and unit studies each year, so we didn't spend the money on an additional science curriculum.  I wanted to, but I didn't.

 

Fast forward 12 years, and I now have children ranging from preschool to high school.  I was pleasantly surprised to find myself on the TOS Homeschool Crew list to review Considering God's Creation.  My mind flashed back 10+ years ago to me drooling as other Mom's talked about it, when I couldn't afford to buy anything new.  I was excited to finally be able to use it.



If you haven't heard about Considering God's Creation, let me tell you about it.  Considering God's Creation is a very hands-on science curriculum for 2nd - 7th grade students.  It uses a notebooking approach to learn about earth science, from a Creationist viewpoint.  Each of the 36 lessons includes worksheets to complete for individual science notebooks.  Some of the worksheets involve cutting and pasting, and some are just for writing on.  There are also crossword puzzles, games, and a CD of songs to help the students learn different concepts.

 

The Considering God's Creation set that we received includes a Teacher's Manual with the song CD, as well as a student workbook, which retails for $29.95.  The Teacher's Manual is 128 pages long, including teacher's notes and answer key.  The Student workbook is 269 pages, with worksheets, 12 review crosswords, glossary, and song lyrics.  Both books are softcover.  The student workbook can be photocopied for family use only, or additional workbooks can be purchased for $13.95 to save time and effort over photocopying.

 

Pros:

  • affordable science curriculum

  • can be used with multiple ages

  • can be adapted for grades K-8

  • shared family experiences as multiple ages learn together

  • can be adapted for 1 or 2 years of study

  • can use it as a science curriculum, or a supplement to another one

  • reproducible (for family use only)

  • extra workbooks are very affordable

  • hands-on learning

  • creationist viewpoint

  • complete earth science course

  • appeals to lapbooking and notebooking families

  • provides a finished product showing your student's work

  • very visual with the worksheets

  • Bible study included


 

Cons:

  • not a traditional textbook approach

  • no colorful reference textbook for the student

  • not everyone wants the hands-on, cut-and-paste approach

  • Mom-dependent, not an independent study

  • song CD seemed geared for the K-2nd grades only


 

I've come a long way since we first started homeschooling.  For one thing, I've learned that I do not fit my own "ideal image" of a homeschool family.  Ideally, I'd be very hands-on, and I'd follow Charlotte Mason's recommendations completely.   Ideally, I'd love to lapbook and notebook.  Realistically, I'm not that person.

 

Over the past few years, I've learned that notebooking and lapbooking just aren't my style.  I've even learned that I actually do like well-written and engaging textbooks.  Which means, that I'm finally able to say that Considering God's Creation is a wonderful science curriculum for the right family, but not for me.  My kids love it (except the songs), but I find myself dreading it.  And if I'm dreading it, it won't get used consistently.  And that's the honest, ugly truth about me.

 

I do honestly believe this is an awesome curriculum;  it's just not my style.  If you'd like to see if Considering God's Creation is right for your family, there are sample pages available at the Eagle's Wings website.  It's such an affordable and adaptable curriculum, that it's worth your time to take a look at the samples!

 

This item was provided free for our review as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.  We received no other compensation, and this review is our honest opinion.   Visit the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.


Trusting In Him,
April