Monday, May 30, 2011

Honoring the military on Memorial Day

I started to title this "Happy Memorial Day!"  But then I thought about the meaning of Memorial Day and realized it was not something to treat so glibly.

 

I know that on Memorial Day we honor those who died in military service.  However, I'm so thankful that my veteran Dad is still here with us.  I am thankful for all who have served in the military, and especially to the family of those who have died in service.

 

Service.  Served.  Our military are working to SERVE our country, not for their own benefit or because they're getting the recognition or pay that they deserve.  They SERVE because they believe it is the RIGHT thing to do, because they want to GIVE to their country.


And they do give.  They give their time.  They give so much physical effort as they train and as they deploy.  They give their youth.  They give their families as they are often separated from them.  They give total commitment.  Some give their actual lives.

 

The family of the military members also give.  The entire family SERVES our country.  Memorial Day weekend isn't just about bar-b-cues and remembering our ancestors.  It's about honoring the military who have GIVEN so much to our country.

 

Thanks, Dad, for your twenty years of service to our country.  I'm so proud of you.



 



You still look handsome in your uniform.  We love you!

 

April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!