Thursday, August 11, 2011

Two surprises for me yesterday

My oldest daughter and I went to the doctor for well-care visits yesterday.  While we were there, we discovered that she's 5 feet 4.75 inches.  And I, who used to be 5 feet 5 inches and thought I was still taller than her ... have definitely shrunk to 5 feet 4.5 inches (by their rulers).  She did it.  I didn't think she would, but at 16 (well, she has 9 more days until then) she has outgrown me.  I still want to know where my other half inch has gone.  We're both healthy, by the way.  LOL!!

 

That afternoon, I found my other surprise.  My Surprise Lilies had bloomed.  I first spied a few amongst some long (unmowed) grasses out toward the field.  I didn't even realize I had any over there.  That made me curious about the patch at the other end of the house that I usually enjoy.  So I went to explore, and discovered that the goat got to them first.  There are a few partial stems lying on the ground, and one flower broken off.  The rest are gone.  Oh well.  At least I can enjoy the ones out in the grass, if I go outside and stand in just the right spot.  LOL!!

 

I think surprise lilies are amazing.  When they are ready to bloom, they just seem to shoot up all in one day.  Children also grow quickly, but not that quickly.

 

The amazing shrinking woman,
April E.

1 comment:

  1. My 13 year old son is 5'8". My husband is 5'7" and I'm only 5'3.5". My oldest daughter is only 11. I've always thought she would stay shorter than I am, but I'm beginning to wonder now. She has started growing fast!

    Those surprise lilies sound neat. Too bad about the goats.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!