Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Life has been ... hectic

I haven't been blogging much lately.  It just seems I haven't had time to really write much.  I've thought a few blog posts, though they never made it out of my head.

 

My oldest daughter got her first job this summer, but she is still working on earning her driver's license, so I'm driving her in to work each day, and picking her up.  Sometimes I stay in town since she has short shifts at the library, and sometimes I make two trips.

 

We're in the middle of our fourth week of school and I have 6 students this year.  I'm also trying to be more directly involved on a daily basis with the younger ones' lessons.  We've returned to some more teacher-intensive curriculum, and my youngest two students like to have their hands held as they work.  Okay, not literally, but they do want my undivided attention as I give them lots of instructions.  The youngest 3 also need LOTS of reminders to stay on task.

 

And then there are the messmakers.  Oh my!  We are continually having to pick up messes that the 1 yo and 3 yo make.  (Okay, they're still 2 days away from being 1 and 3, but they're close enough.)  They can just destroy the house in minutes, it seems.  Definitely in a school day.

 

At church, Steve and I have begun teaching the 4 and 5 year olds.  It's been nearly 4 years since we moved here, and we enjoyed the break from teaching.  Being in an adult Sunday School class was so enjoyable, but it's also nice to get back in the classroom with the little kids.  I also agreed to help with the Christmas play.  That is just getting started, so I guess life isn't going to slow down in the next few months.

 

It's also time for the end-of-4H-year mess ... I mean paperwork.  We have 6 days left to turn it in, and I don't know how we'll get it done.  You see, my mother-in-law has shingles.  Since she also has early alzheimers, we're having to take her meds to her three times a day.  After 6 more days, that should fall to 1-2 times a day, but in the meantime, it's 3 times a day and that overlaps our window to finish our paperwork.  Yesterday, 7 of our 8 kids got the chicken pox vaccine, and the last one will get it Friday.  I didn't think that was really a necessary vaccination in the past, and I decided to let them develop natural immunity instead.  But, this week I looked at how busy our life is now and what it would be like if all 8 kids caught chicken pox, especially if it dragged out slowly moving from one kid to the next.  The chaos I envisioned made me re-think my opposition to the vaccine, and I caved in.

 

I confess I long for the simpler days when I had 5-6 young kids and all I did was stay home with them, go to church, and make a few library trips.  Life changes as your children get older, though.  It also changes when you move from being IN town, to outside of town.  More time on the road.  More purposeful efforts to get the children into town for special events and "socialization" time.  More things to be involved in with multiple ages.  My teens are longing for the day that they can drive themselves to Bible Study, accountability group, football games, etc.  It will be nice, but I don't resent taking them places.  I just miss the simplicity of being home more.  Life is continually changing, and we are in a new phase of life.

 

Laundry is a major issue at the moment.  It is always piling up.  I need a better system.  I'm trying to cut down on commitments, so I can better manage things at home.  I have a stack of reviews I'm still needing to post on my blog, but I'm going to be slacking off on those.  I must stop saying yes, and close my eyes when the emails come in.  Maybe with less of those to write, I can get more personal blogging done.

 

Speaking of my blog, I've realized why the ads bother me so much!!  The font size on my blog is small, which makes the ads seem much larger.  I may look for a new template with a larger font, and larger post titles.  But before I can switch them, I need to save my sidebar widgets into a folder so I don't lose anything when I switch templates.  In my spare time, of course.  Ha ha!

 

In the meantime, let me tell you about some of the little things I've got going on:

  • 2 yo G and 11 month old V will have their shared birthday in 2 days.  Soon they will be 3 and 1.  We'll have to figure out how to celebrate with Grandma this weekend, despite her shingles.

  • 2 yo G is getting very particular.  It started with him wanting to always eat off my cobalt blue tupperware snack plates.  It spread to him always wanting a blue drinking cup.  It's reached its peak with him realizing we have one blue bowl and one blue spoon, which he always wants.  "Boo pate! Boo bow!  Boo poon!  Boo cup!"  Of course when I asked him last night to tell Grandma his favorite color, he said "Red!"

  • 11 month old V is walking everywhere.  She looks so short and stocky when she's walking, and she has a cute little bow-legged cowgirl style walk.  A short, fat cowgirl, of course.  She's so active and inquisitive ... to put it nicely.  Last night I was feeding her some chicken and noodles from a jar, which is unusual.  Usually she feeds herself the same things we eat.  But she was saying "Eat.  Eeeeaaat.  Eat."  The girls were teasing that her first real word (besides Mama and Dada) was food-related.  I told them she has said "Dog" before, and she's very good at saying "yum!" too.  She was saying "yum" as I fed her some of my sherbet at bedtime last night.

  • One of our Mama cats had kittens, and though some animal got to several of them, she managed to keep 3 alive.  She moved them a few days ago, and I'm hoping they're still alive.  In the meantime, a little weaned kitten has appeared and she's bringing lots of enjoyment to my 5 yo daughter L and 7 yo son M.


 

Well, it's time for me to get the kids up, shower, let the goats out for the day, and clean up the 8 dead chickens from the coyote that got INTO my chicken coop early this morning.  I have to get kids rolling on schoolwork and take some medication to my mother-in-law this morning.  I'd better re-fill my coffee cup, and pray.

 

April E.

 

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about staying home. Life is just different when the kids start getting older. And my kids aren't quite as old as yours and you've got a couple of extra kids. Plus I do live in town.

    I just recently changed the font size on the Front Porch. I just pasted
    p {font-size:15px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}​
    in the U-CSS box. You can play with the font-size number. It looks like the 15 would make it a little bit bigger. But you might want to try a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristen. I had thought I should try to figure out how to do this. :) You saved me time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. April and Kristen, thanks!

    I'm glad i stopped by - I'm glad you are all doing well. It sounds like there's a lot of joy in between the hectic. too bad laundry doesn't do itself. ;)

    I took on a 1st grade religious ed class this year. It should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now to figure out how to increase the font of the post titles, and sidebars. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!