Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Don't Check Your Brains At The Door

Title: Don't Check Your Brains At The Door

Author: Josh McDowell and Bob Hostetler

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Format: Softcover

ISBN: 978-1-4003-1720-2

Price: $12.99

 

I remember watching Josh McDowell lectures when I was in youth group.  It was obvious that he really loved teens and I enjoyed his presentation style.  He always handled tough topics well and brought us right back to what the Bible had to say about dealing with them.  With that in mind, as a parent, I trust what he has to say to my teens.

 

Don't Check Your Brains At The Door was written by Josh McDowell and Bob Hostetler. Together, they tackle many tough subjects our teens are facing and will continue to face in college:

  • challenges to their Christian faith

  • the validity of the Bible

  • differing worldviews


 

There are 42 chapters in the book, divided into six sections.  The sections confront different myths that society uses to destroy our :

  • Myths About God

  • Myths About Jesus

  • Myths About The Bible

  • Myths About The Resurrection

  • Myths About Religion And Christianity

  • Myths About Life And Happiness


 

The world has a message to sell, and it's not the same message I'm trying to instill in my children.  They sell it aggressively, slipping it into the books, music, tv shows, movies, and curriculum that our children are surrounded with daily.  If our children aren't grounded in their faith, with a firm understanding of their beliefs and the Bible, they can be easily misled.  Don't Check Your Brains At The Door helps parents, Sunday School teachers, and youth group leaders develop a strong Biblical worldview in preteens and teens.

 

I love this book!  I will be using it in my own family.  The chapters are short, with relevant examples to make their point.   Since I have younger children, as well as older children, I'm not sure if this would work for our family devotions, but for those with a smaller age-span of children it would be excellent.  I will be requiring my teens to read it, even if we can't use it as a whole family.  It would also be ideal for a Sunday School class, Bible study, small group, or youth group in the church setting.
I strongly recommend Don't Check Your Brains At The Door to any Christian parent wanting to ensure their children really understand their faith and are prepared to defend it against the onslaught of false messages around them.

 

April E.

 

This book was provided to me free for review purposes, by Book Sneeze.  I was not required to post a positive review. This review is my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!