Wednesday, January 25, 2012

1000 Gifts Inspired By Gracia Burnham

I just finished reading (for the second time)   In the Presence of My Enemies by Gracia Burnham.  As I was laying in bed this morning, I realized that there are so many things I should be thankful for that she didn't have in her year of captivity with terrorists.  So I'm adding to my list again today.

26. indoor plumbing
27. toilet paper
28. eating with my family
29. weekly worship in church
30. my Bible
31. planning my child's birthday
32. being with my children today
33. planning and preparing my own meal
34. variety in my menu
35. a warm soft bed with blankets
36. clean clothes
37. a washing machine and dryer
38. a hot shower
39. the comfort of my own home
40. my personal library
41. privacy
42. hearing my children laugh
43. watching my children play
44. picking up the phone to call extended family
45. knowing where each member of my family is each day
46. safety and security
47. my pillow
48. a shelf full of medications
49. peace
50. freedom
51. folding clothes with my kids
52. another anniversary with my husband
53. my own toothbrush

I admire Martin and Gracia Burnham so much.  They gave their lives in service to the Philippine people, and to the Lord.  When captured, they endured so much pain and fear and loss and discomfort with grace and faith.  When Gracia was freed, she shared her story with humility and truth.  Her name suits her.

April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!