Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Does my dream cookbook even exist?

My husband is starting on a weight loss program, trying to lose the excess weight so he can reduce his risk of diabetes and heart disease.  Reducing his diabetes risk will also reduce his chances of getting Alzheimer's disease, in two ways -- having diabetes increases your Alzheimer's risk, and exercising and eating healthy foods decreases your chance of contracting Alzheimer's disease or delays it.  Steve's Dad had diabetes and heart disease, and his mother has Alzheimer's disease. 

I also have a daughter who has been working over the past 7 months to get in shape.  I should probably join them both on this journey.  All of our family would benefit from healthier eating habits and more exercise.  But that's where I find my struggle ... cooking healthy for a family of ten, including several picky children.


My dream cookbook would have healthy recipes that don't take hours to prepare, have normal easily found ingredients, are affordable, and will tempt my picky eaters.  Does that exist?  Is there a large-family, kid-friendly, healthy cookbook out there?  Or a website that meets those parameters?

Do you have a favorite cookbook or website that even meets some of those conditions?  Please share!

April E.

2 comments:

  1. April, we've worked hard over the last couple of years to eat healthier, whole foods, too, and like you, we need recipes that don't cost an arm and a leg and take 24 hours to prepare!

    I really like what I see on this website, 100 Days of Real Food. I've tried numerous breakfast recipes, like healthy waffles, pancakes, muffins, and a lot of their other recipes, and we've liked almost every one of them. Plus, they don't take forever to prepare. Here's the website:

    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

    Hope that is helpful to ya!

    Julieanne
    http://www.JoyInOurJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Julianne! That website does look interesting. My sister-in-law also recommended the Hungry Girl cookbooks, though I'll have to increase any recipes I try from there. I'll likely have to increase any recipes I try from anywhere.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!