Monday, April 2, 2012

Family's Walk Kansas, week 2 update

We met all our goals again last week, with a total of 1275 minutes of active exercise, or 85 miles.  Of course, that doesn't count the younger 4 kids who are also on the move a lot.  One of our most active kids isn't officially in our team, but he logs a lot of basketball time outdoors each day.

For myself, I didn't reach 3 hours this past week, but I did work out for 2 hours and 45 minutes over the course of the week.  Some of that included outdoor walking, and indoor workouts using DVDs.  We did discover that the kids really put a hamper on a health-walk.  They walk in front of you, trip you, and generally slow you down.  I'll try to walk alone or with just Steve as much as possible, rather than as a whole family.

This week is already off to a good start.  Steve and several kids spent 45 minutes walking nature trails yesterday, one of my teens did an hour of exercise today, and so did I.  We're on a roll. 

Personally, I'm still hoping to lose some more weight, but I mainly want to grow stronger.  I have 8 kids to raise, and I want to be able to keep up with them.  I want to age in a way that lets me stay active for a long time.  Exercise helps prevent dementia, osteoporosis, and depression.  It's in my best interest to exercise, and it's not as bad as I feared. LOL!!

I'm very serious about wanting to model good health to my children.  Some of them will fight diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, heart disease, and Alzheimer's disease.  These all run in their family, and I want them to be prepared to have the healthiest life possible, even if they do encounter these health issues.

Slowly but surely, we're getting more fit!

April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!