Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gratitude Day 10: Modern Day Life


Our refrigerator and freezer quit working Thursday evening.  I noticed then that a few of the kids' popsicles were thawing, so I turned the freezer temp up.  Yesterday we woke up and found all of the popsicles thawed and ice cream melting/running out of the box onto shelves below.  Bummer!  Thankfully we had an extra freezer and fridge in the basement to move the frozen foods into. 

We checked and realized the coils under the fridge were all blocked with dust, so we vacuumed it out and hoped it would start to recover.  By yesterday evening, the fridge was STILL running too warm, so we moved the non-frozen foods to the basement, too.  Sigh.  We unplugged the freezer overnight to see if that would help today.  Now we're waiting to see if it gets cold enough today, or if we need to have it repaired.  In the meantime, we've only been awake for 1.5 hours and we're already annoyed by needing to run to the basement for the refrigerator.  But at least we have that refrigerator.

So today I'm thankful for our modern appliances, for electricity, for running water and central heat.  I'm thankful that I don't have to run to the outhouse several times a day, or store foods in a cold cellar.  I'm thankful I don't have to chop wood for heat every day, and have to get up early in a freezing home to stoke the fire. 

And now I'm going to run to the basement so I can get some breakfast.  I've put it off long enough.

April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!