Thursday, February 28, 2013

Baby B is here!

Well, Baby B is here.  He was born on Tuesday, Feb 26, after an induction.  We had hoped to induce on Wednesday or Thursday this week, but weren't sure what our doctor had in mind.  We were supposed to discuss it at Tuesday's appointment.  Over the weekend, my blood pressure had mostly behaved, though it was high on Saturday evening before I took my medication. Sunday it was good all day long, but on Monday morning it decided to make life exciting.

I got up on Monday and took my blood pressure reading.  It was one of the best morning readings I'd had since being on bed rest.  I took my blood pressure pill and sat on the loveseat talking to Steve and having breakfast.  About an hour after my pill, I had a headache start, and we re-took my blood pressure.  It was going up, though I had already taken my medication and was resting.  I took some tylenol and continued to rest.  It continued to go up reaching 160s/90s before we finally called the doctor to tell them I was having a headache and my BP was up.  (Headache was one of the symptoms they wanted to know about.)

The nurse called me back and asked if I was still having a headache.  I was (though it was getting a bit better after the tylenol) so they told me to come in that afternoon for my prenatal instead of waiting until the next day.  When we got there, my blood pressure was back in the acceptable range, but the doctor decided it was best to go ahead and induce.  She had been planning to start my induction on Tuesday night (though we hadn't yet known it) but we decided to go ahead and start that night so I didn't have to go home and wonder/worry about my blood pressure going up for another day.  The doctor explained that if it continued to go up, they'd end up having to put me on IV magnesium during labor and that is also used to stall labor, so it complicates the induction process.  We all agreed it was best to go ahead and do it while it was still manageable. 

We started the induction with cytotec on Monday evening, following it up with pitocin on Tuesday morning.  Baby B was born on Tuesday, in the early afternoon.  He weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. and was 19.5 inches long.  I've only had one baby smaller than him, and he makes the 3rd baby that was under 8 lbs. for us.  5 of our babies were in the 8 lb. range, and one was in the 9 lb. range.  He was healthy, and even though he was born at 37.5 weeks, they said he tested out as a 38 or 39 week old.  His apgars were 8 and 9, and we came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon.  My blood pressure has been good ever since he was born, though I will be keeping an eye on it for awhile. 

We're all glad that he's here, and that he and I are both healthy.  He's a cutie with LOTS of brown hair, dark blue eyes that don't give any hint of their final color yet, and chubby chubby cheeks.  He's well-loved and everyone is eager to hold him.  Speaking of which, I'd better get ready.  He's probably going to wake up from his nap soon and I'll need to be ready to feed him. 

Blessed and thankful,
April E.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, April and family! I'm so excited to hear your news about Baby B's birth! :) Sounds like he is doing wonderfully - what a wonderful Apgar score for a baby born a little bit early. (Our Brittany was born 3 weeks early and had terrible Apgar scores - but she's doing fine.)

    Thank you for sharing your news with us! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!