Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review: Fear, Faith and a Fistful of Chocolate by Debora Coty



Title:  Fear, Faith, and a Fistful of Chocolate: Wit and Wisdom for Sidestepping Life's Worries
Author:  Debora M. Coty
Publisher:  Barbour Books
Format:  Softcover and e-book

ISBN:  978-1620291696
Price:  $9.99

When I first received this new book by Debora Coty, I wasn't really sure it was something beneficial for me.  It's written for those who struggle with lots of fears and anxiety, and I don't usually struggle with that.  Then, halfway through this book, I found myself facing pregnancy complications, bedrest, and a 24 hour hospital stay.  Suddenly, I was face-to-face with fears for myself, my unborn child, and the rest of my family.  Debora's book took on new meaning to me then, and the remaining chapters were much more personal.

Debora's writing is personal and humorous.  She keeps the tone light, even while dealing with a serious subject.  Her use of personal stories from her life and those of her friends provides a sense of fellowship and camaraderie.  The reader is reassured that they are not alone in their struggles, and that there is hope.  It is possible to overcome fear and find freedom and strength in Christ.  The book is filled with Scriptures, not only to support her text, but also to memorize and apply in your life to overcome the fears.

Debora divides her book into four sections.  In the first section, she tackles internal fears like rejection, humiliation, loneliness, and guilt.  The second section of the book addresses how to handle external fears in our lives without giving in to anxiety or paralyzing fear.  The third section teaches us how to "go to battle" with our fears, how to put on our spiritual armor and use it to defeat Satan as he tries to immobilize us with fear.  The final section focuses on the faceless fears: the unknown, death, financial worries.  She covers everything from agoraphobia to the fear of water and bugs with sensitivity and grace. Each chapter includes questions to get the reader thinking and help you apply the lessons to your own life.  They'd be wonderful to use in a journal that could also be filled with encouraging Scriptures as a tool for overcoming fear.

As I said, this book was not initially beneficial to me, but as I read it, I kept thinking of some of my dear friends who struggle with anxiety in their daily life. I do recommend this book to those who struggle with worry, fear, and anxiety attacks. As I found when facing my own trial, it's an encouraging book to give to someone who finds themselves in a scary situation: unemployment, health crises, or being widowed.  It is primarily geared toward women, which is a shame, as I am sure there are men who could also benefit from the information and encouragement.  Hopefully there is a man writing a book for men on this same topic.
This book was provided to me, free, for review purposes by Litfuse Publicity Group.  A positive review was not required and the thoughts in this review are my own.  You can read other reviews by following the links at this page.

April E.

Celebrate the release of Fear, Faith and a Fistful of Chocolate with Debora Coty by entering her Kindle Fire Giveaway and RSVPing to the March 7th Author Chat Party on Facebook!




Fear-Faith-Giveaway-300

One "sweet" winner will receive:

  • A Kindle Fire
  • A Debora Coty Library (Fear, Faith and a Fistful of Chocolate, More Beauty, Less Beast, Too Blessed To Be Stressed, and Everyday Hope)
  • Chocolate (Every good thing begins with chocolate!)
Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends 3/6/13. Winner will be announced at Debora's "Fear, Faith and a Fistful of Chocolate" Facebook Party on 3/7. Debora will be hosting an evening of chat, fun trivia, laughter, and encouragement - bring your friends! She'll also be giving away some GREAT prizes: gift certificates, books, and a book club prize pack! (Ten copies of the book for your small group or book club and a live chat with Debora via Skype.)


So grab your copy of Fear, Faith and a Fistful of Chocolate and join Debora and friends on the evening of March 7th for an evening of fun. (If you haven't read the book, don't let that stop you from coming!)



Don't miss a moment of the fun, RSVP todayTell your friends via FACEBOOK or TWITTER and increase your chances of winning. Hope to see you on the 7th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!