Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: Dolled Up to Die by Lorena McCourtney

Don't judge a book by its cover.  If you do, you might miss out on a very good book!  When Dolled Up To Die first arrived at my house, I was a little disappointed in the cover, and feared I was in for a blah book.  Thankfully, I was wrong. 

Book Description:

Dolled Up To Die is the second book in Lorena McCourtney's new series, The Cate Kinkaid Files.  Cate is starting over in life, being trained by her uncle as an assistant private investigator, and taking over more of the company's business.  I have to admit that the Nancy Drew fan in me was drawn to Cate as a female PI, but also because Cate is attractively imperfect.

Cate is wrapping up another routine case for Belmont Investigations when she receives a frantic phone call from JoJo Kieferson begging for her help -- Marianne, Lucinda, and Toby have been shot.  Cate tries to tell JoJo  that this is a case for the police, but JoJo says she hears something, and abruptly hangs up.  Concerned for her safety, Cate goes against her better judgment and rushes to help the woman.  She's a little surprised when she arrives to find the police still haven't arrived, and the victims are hand-made, life-size, realistic dolls. Unfortunately, there is an actual death on the property which Cate discovers with JoJo.  Just like that, Cate is thrown into another dangerous investigation, and once again, she's taking her boyfriend Mitch along for the ride.

ElCloud Thoughts:



Dolled Up To Die was a very entertaining and satisfactory cozy mystery.  I was immediately pulled into the story and drawn to the characters. (So much that I neglected my chores and let the kids' chores slide one evening, until my husband came home and dragged me back to the real world.)  The cover of this book does not do it justice, and I will definitely be going back to read the first Cate Kinkaid mystery, Dying to Read.  Lorena writes with humor, warmth, and romance.  The mystery had me guessing until close to the end.  I couldn't decide who the killer really was, or if there was more than one person involved.  As a cozy mystery, it's not high suspense or deeply emotional, but it's a perfect light, summer read. 

I have to confess that I have previously enjoyed another cozy mystery series about a red-headed sleuth, but those mysteries were not Christian and I didn't like the way the author always had the heroine and her boyfriend dancing on the edge of a physical relationship.  It just didn't seem necessary and eventually led me to stop reading the series.  I was pleased that The Cate Kinkaid Files include romance without being sensual.  The book is also free from cursing and includes Christian values as the main characters seek God's direction for their life, and share His Word with those they meet.  This seemed to flow pretty naturally in the story, rather than being forced.

I'm adding Lorena McCourtney's books to my Summer Reading list for next year.  I'm sure I'll enjoy her other books and series just as much as I enjoyed Dolled Up To Die

You can read an excerpt of Dolled Up To Die, by following the link in the bottom of the left column on THIS PAGE.  Enjoy!

Available July 15, 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
I received one free copy of Dolled Up To Die for review purposes.  No other compensation was received, and this is my honest opinion.

April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!