Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: Rosemary Cottage by Colleen Coble

Rosemary Cottage is the second installment in Colleen Coble's Hope Beach series.  These books are mystery romances set on an island in North Carolina's Outer Banks.  In Rosemary Cottage, Amy Lang returns to Hope Beach to try to unravel the mystery of her brother's death, although everyone else believes it was a sad accident.  Determined to unravel the mystery, she decides to move into her family's summer home on Hope Beach.  It doesn't take long before she finds herself working with Curtis Ireland, whose sister died just 2 weeks before Amy's brother, to solve the mystery.  Their siblings both left behind a tangled web of secrets and a confusing relationship that is driving a wedge between Amy and Curtis and their budding romance.  Will the secrets they uncover tear them apart?

This was my first time reading a Colleen Coble novel.  I hadn't read the first book in this series (Tidewater Inn) or any of her other books, but I was still able to jump into Rosemary Cottage without feeling as if I'd missed something important.  A few times I found myself confused about one of the characters when they'd pop up in the story, but it only took a second for me to identify them again.  If I'd read the first book, I might not have had that issue.

I was immediately drawn into the mystery of Rosemary Cottage, and I found myself cheering for Amy and Curtis to both discover the truth, and fall in love. As the story unfolded, I did find myself suspicious of some of the characters.  In the end, the danger didn't come from the character I suspected, but it was linked to that person.  The plot had enough twists to keep me guessing and surprise me a bit at the end, though I expected to feel more tension at the end of the book.  I was surprised I didn't feel more concern for the very dangerous situation the characters were in.

There were a few times that I felt a story transition was a little rough and it left my head spinning.  I occasionally had to re-read a couple paragraphs to follow the author's train of thought - that actually included the last two pages of the story.  I was thankful for the happy ending, but I even had to re-read the last two pages and felt like the book had jumped a bit suddenly.  The characters had covered a lot of unrecorded conversation in their drive home and reached some major decisions that were just suddenly announced on the last page.

I now have a new author to check out sometimes, and I'll probably read more of her book series.  At this point Colleen Coble hasn't made it onto my "favorite authors" list but she's definitely on the "good read" list.  I am sure her fans won't be disappointed in Rosemary Cottage and those who've never read any of Colleen's books should give the Hope Beach series a try, though I'd probably recommend you start with Tidewater Inn.



Rosemary Cottage Colleen Coble

Colleen is hosting a 12-day Nautical Summer Giveaway. From July 16-27, Colleen will be giving away a new nautical prize every day. She’ll announce the winners on July 29 on her website, so mark your calendars for that date to see if you were picked as a lucky winner!


Not on Facebook? Enter here.


One copy of Rosemary Cottage was given to me, free, for review purposes by Litfuse.  This review contains my honest thoughts, and no other compensation was given for this review.

April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!