Thursday, December 12, 2013

Review: The Advent of Murder by Martha Ockley

http://store.kregel.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=3121
Faith Morgan, The Reluctant Detective, returns in Martha Ockley's sequel, The Advent of Murder, by Lion Hudson Publishers.  In The Reluctant Detective, Faith was visiting Little Worthy's parish to consider whether she wanted to accept a position replacing their retiring vicar. Unfortunately, the  current vicar died in the midst of a Communion service, and Faith was drawn into the murder investigation. She tried to stay out of it, but her instincts as a former police woman kicked in.

From the Publisher's Description:
In the second book, The Advent of Murder, Faith Morgan goes to visit one of her parishioners at his farm, only to discover the house surrounded by police cars. A body has been found in the local river and Oliver Markham is charged with murder, since the body was basically in his back yard.  There goes Faith's Joseph for the Advent play.

Though busy with preparations for Christmas, including finding a donkey and a new Joseph, Faith is called on to investigate when it’s found out that the victim is also a member of her congregation—Lucas Bagshaw, an orphan and a member of the inner city youth choir coming to sing on Christmas Eve. As Faith investigates, she uncovers romantic rivalries, a questionable uncle, and the possibility of drugs.

In the tradition of Father Brown and Miss Marple, The Advent of Murder brings readers an authentic picture of English rural and church life combined with a satisfying mystery that will keep readers guessing until the end.

ElCloud Thoughts: 
I enjoyed The Advent of Murder even more than the first book in the Faith Morgan Mystery series.  I think it helped that I was familiar with the key characters this time around.  I liked that Faith seemed more settled in her faith and her role as vicar this time.  She still struggles with her former boyfriend Ben's accusations that she's running away from the world, but she seems to trust in God more, and is able to comfort those around her. One of my main complaints about the first book was that it seemed to be "barely Christian", but this book holds a stronger message of hope and redemption.

The Advent of Murder is a lovely cozy mystery, and definitely reminds me of the Miss Marple books in its setting and somewhat in its style.  However, Faith is a much more modern young woman with struggles I can relate to more easily than the elderly Miss Marple.  An excellent book, and one that I definitely recommend if you enjoy Miss Marple and other English cozy mysteries.

April E.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above from Kregel Publications  for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


1 comment:

  1. This sound wonderful! I love English countryside books especially mysteries!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!