Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, New School Semester, New Resolutions

It's a new year, and today marks the first day back to school at our house.  This is my husband's first full week back at work, and my college student's last week home.  She's leaving Saturday to return to college.

The Christmas tree is packed away, though we did leave out our wintery decorations.  The four boxes of Christmas books and movies are stored away until next year.  Our 3 year old was thrilled when we brought her toy kitchen and dishes back upstairs from the basement.  Those who made renewed fitness commitments are using the space to exercise.

So far, our first day of school is going fairly well.  We've had some moments of frustration as they tried to remember how to work a math problem, but they're staying on-task fairly well. I hope it lasts through the rest of the week.

I, on the other hand, realized I am very disorganized right now.  At yesterday's 4-H meeting, I was slapped in the face with my disorganization as I stared at an over-stuffed 4-H notebook which contained several years of papers, but not our club's current program book, which I need. I can tell that my husband has been taking the kids to 4-H most of the time over the last year - not because he caused the mess, but because I just wasn't aware of how bad the notebook was. I spent time last night organizing the notebook, filing away old papers, and making sure I have current information in the notebook. Except the program guide.  I'm going to have to get another copy of that.

Then this morning I started trying to find my "How to teach the Essay" notebook for my high schoolers to use.  I couldn't find it.  I found the research paper notebook, but not the essay notebook.  I had it earlier this year, but I have searched all my school shelves and could not find it.  I looked in both the high school students' school books.  I even looked in the younger kids' school crates, in case they accidentally put it away with their stuff.  I finally found it buried in the 11th grader's stack of non-school stuff.


I guess one of my New Year Resolutions should be to get organized again.  Pregnancy, bed rest, and the new baby daze have done a number on me.  He's 10 months old now.  It's definitely time to pull myself (and the house) back together.

I'm not a big fan of New Year Resolutions, because it seemed like every single year I was making the same resolutions.  Lose weight, read the Bible more, get up earlier, be a better person.  This year, though, I do have a few resolutions, and they're even somewhat original.  If they're repeats of previous years, at least the reason behind them is new.
  1. To get back in God's Word on a daily basis. I won't have more joy, more grace, more peace, more love, or know Him better unless I do.  
  2. To get organized again - with life, with the house, with school, with our chores.  Since the whole family relies on me to keep track of everything, I need to do a better job of it.  It will reduce my stress, too.
  3. To work on getting healthier.  I need to start exercising again to gain strength, lose weight, reduce my blood pressure, and reduce stress.  I probably can't fit it in on a daily basis, but even 3 times a week would be progress. I also need to work on healthier cooking and eating again, for everyone's health.
  4. To focus on my marriage.  My husband and I have been so busy that we haven't had much time for each other.  Even if we just sit and share breakfast and coffee together like we did today, we need to make more time for our relationship. We'll be celebrating 20 years of marriage this year, and I want our friendship and relationship to be strong as we start the next 20 years.

Anyone else making resolutions?  Even if they're the same resolutions you make every year? 

April E.