Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Review: 99 Stories From The Bible by Juliet David

99 Stories From The Bible Cover Image
99 Stories from the Bible is a beautiful children's Bible story book.  Juliet David has re-told each Bible story in short, one or two page stories  geared for young children.  It is perfect for children ages 2-7. 

The illustrations by Elina Ellis are colorful and engaging.  Each story has full-color illustrations, many with double-page spreads to capture their interest and hold their focus while you read aloud to them.  I love the cartoon style that Elina Ellis uses for her people.

My favorite portion of this book is the New Testament section.  The book is pretty evenly divided between the Old and New Testaments.  There are 107 pages of Old Testament stories, and 90 pages of New Testament stories from the gospel. I love that it puts so much emphasis on Jesus' life, teachings, miracles, death and resurrection.  Unlike many children's story Bibles, this one does not skip over the crucifixion or resurrection.  It does a wonderful job of talking about Jesus' arrest, crucifixion, and resurrection without being too ugly for young children. 99 Stories From the Bible also presents a literal 7 day Creation, instead of trying to be vague to leave room for those who view it as more of an allegory than literal truth.

The book itself is a hardcover book, which is a good size for little ones to hold.  It's about an 8.5 inch square size and about 3/4 inch thick.  The pages are a nice weight, not easily ripped or bent.  There is a presentation page at the front of the book that makes it perfect for giving as a gift at a baby shower, baby dedication, or for a birthday, Easter, or Christmas.

My 3 and 5 year old enjoy hearing the Bible stories from 99 Stories From The Bible, and we've also used it with 4 and 5 year old kids in our Sunday School class.  My 7 year old has enjoyed reading the stories to herself, and aloud to her younger siblings, as she practices her reading skills. 

It's a great book and I give it 5 stars! 

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free (from Kregel Publications)  in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


April E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!