Monday, March 24, 2014

The 500 Hats of a Modern-Day Woman by Joyce K. Ellis

500 Hats Modern Day Woman
Woman, Wife, Mom, Working Woman, Friend, Sister, Volunteer, Christian ... so many different hats that women have to wear all at the same time.  Within each of those labels, there are multiple responsibilities and expectations to fulfill.  Being a wife means being a helper, a friend, a lover, a supporter.  Being a mother means being a teacher, child trainer, laundress, cook, chauffeur, and overall chief of chaos control. Expectation upon expectation, task upon task, responsibility upon responsibility ... endlessly.

So how do we balance it all?  How do we give our best to our family, friends, bosses, and God?  How do we not lose ourselves under the weight of all those hats?

Joyce Ellis takes a look at all these different roles and helps us sort it out.  This book doesn't offer literal tips for scheduling out your life, or for shortening your "to do list".  You will find a Scriptural look at ordering your priorities and keeping yourself focused on God while fulfilling all your duties. Each chapter unwraps the struggles we face, offering Scriptural advice, a touch of humor, relatable stories from her life and others' lives, and application questions for thought or discussion. 

I really enjoyed reading The 500 Hats of a Modern-Day Woman.  My favorite chapters actually weren't the ones relating to marriage and motherhood, but the later chapters about aging, servanthood, and being bold for Christ. It wasn't a life-changing book for me, but it was an encouraging book that helped restore my priorities and spiritual focus.  Joyce helped me remember WHY I'm doing what I'm doing, and WHO I'm really doing it for. This book would make an excellent study for a church book club or small group study, since it would work well in a multi-generational setting.

April E.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog.  Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!