So how do you find joy when the bills are due, everything is breaking, the kids won't obey, another kid has a cavity, the kids have their third stomach virus of the year, and you haven't had a moment to yourself in what seems like forever?
You stop, take a deep breath and look around. Notice the good things. Give thanks for the blessings in your life, no matter how small.
- Take notice of the moments that your 3, 5, 8, and 10 year old kids are playing peacefully. (Try not to focus on the duplo mess they're making, though.)
- Look into your daughter's eyes, and admire her dimple.
- Take a look around after you tuck your kids in bed, notice them all reading quietly, embrace the silence.
- Give your husband a hug. Just inhale the scent of his cologne as you lean on his strength.
- Listen to your kids' jokes and allow yourself to enjoy their sense of humor.
- Take time to enjoy your favorite tea or coffee while listening to your favorite music.
- Give yourself permission to read a book, even if you can only get 15 minutes in each day.
- Enjoy your teens' personalities and banter.
- Take a nature walk with your kids if you can't get out alone for a walk. Enjoy the beauty of God's creation.