Friday, January 30, 2015

Random 5 on Friday: Laundry Style #Grateful2015

Because every Mom knows that laundry is a BIG DEAL, my Random 5 is devoted to laundry today.

1. I have never have a designated laundry area, especially not a folding area. For the longest time, my washer and dryer were in the kitchen. Now they're in the basement.  I fold wherever I can, on the couch or dining room table.

2. I have never had a new washing machine, though my parents once bought me a new dryer. We've always bought used machines and had fairly good luck with them. The shortest-living washing machine was the front loader we bought very gently used.

3. Recently both my washer and my dryer started acting up. It became apparent that they were both going to die very soon. When you have 10 people at home, and do not live in town near a laundromat, this is a major concern.

4. It wasn't in our plans, but Steve bought me a brand new washer and dryer set because they were on SALE. I had to train all the older children on how they work. Everyone was a little intimidated by them.

5. In the process of getting the old machines out of the basement and the new ones in, we set up a long table beside the dryer for my first ever designated laundry folding area. No more waiting until school-time is over to use the table, no more folding on my bed and having toddlers step on laundry piles, and no more tying up the couch one evening while I fold and no one can sit there. No more excuses, basically. It may not be the prettiest part of my house, staring at an unpainted cinder block wall, but it is the brightest part of the basement, right at the bottom of the stairs. He even put down a foam floor mat to make it comfortable on my feet and legs while I stand there.

Yesterday I took my tablet down to play music and I folded laundry without being in anyone's way. If the kids needed me, they could see from the door of the basement right where I was. I do want to add something nice to look at on that wall, but I'll have to figure out how to hang something on the cinder blocks.

I'm very grateful for my new laundry machines and my folding area!

Check out other Random 5 on Friday posts that are linked up over at The Pebble Pond. 

April E.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, exciting to have new washer and drier, and laundry area! Perhaps paint a mural on the wall, or scripture verses. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for your comment!