Friday, May 29, 2009

Reasons we homeschool, and don't give up ...

A few months ago, The Homeschool Minute e-Newsletter asked readers to send in their "Top Ten Reasons To NOT Give Up Homeschooling".  I had a hard time coming up with just one list, and ended up with 3 variations.  The Homeschool Minute ended up running them, in 3 different newsletters.

My Top 10 Reasons Not To Give Up Homeschooling:

  1. God called us to homeschool our children, and He'll provide the strength we need.

  2. The curriculum in public schools is not from a Christian worldview.

  3. I don't want my children exposed to sin, bullying, popularity contests, and other fun "socialization" on a daily basis.

  4. Homeschooling lets my children be who they are and grow strong in their beliefs before entering the hostile environment of "the world."

  5. Homeschooling allows my children to learn their difficult subjects in an environment free from ridicule.

  6. Homeschooling allows my children to wiggle, take a break, or change subjects whenever they need to restore their focus.

  7. Homeschooling saves me time and money, not having to participate in all the public school fund-raisers and activities.

  8. Homeschooling builds family unity, family culture, and family memories.

  9. Public school children keep telling my kids that they wish they were homeschooled ... so why would we send ours to public school?

  10. Homeschooling teaches my children to love and serve others as they work together each day and learn to get along with each other.



If my kids went to school, I'd miss ...

  1. Watching my brand new reader try to read a book to his 2-year-old sister.

  2. Hearing my children talk together about their history lesson and the books they're reading.

  3. Eating lunch with my kids every day.

  4. Hearing my children thank me for homeschooling them.

  5. Being there when they learn new things.

  6. Sitting beside my 7-year-old, listening to him read his very first book.

  7. Hearing my daughter tell me how cool her new science book is.

  8. Seeing the creativity and curiosity of my children as they enjoy the learning process and explore their world.

  9. Being able to watch my children wake up slowly each day.

  10. The breakfast banter we can share because we don't have to rush out the door to meet the bus.



Because I homeschool ...

  1. My children are each others' best friends.

  2. I get to know my children so much more.

  3. We can spend time with Daddy when he has a day off.

  4. We can go with Daddy on business trips.

  5. We can all study the same subject at the same time.

  6. The kids can take a "baby break" and spend several weeks falling in love with a new sibling, too.

  7. My children don't think it's not cool to learn.

  8. My children can still be children, not pushed to act older than they are.

  9. We can focus on academics instead of fashion on school days.

  10. I don't have to pack my kids' lunches every night before bed.


If you'd like to subscribe to The Homeschool Minute newsletter, you can do so at THIS LINK.  They're very encouraging, and I look forward to them each week.
Trusting in Him,
April