Monday, February 22, 2010

Math Mammoth Golden Series, Worksheets by Grade



click image to visit website


Last year, I reviewed Math Mammoth's Light Blue Series (complete curriculum for elementary ages) as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.   We really enjoyed using the Light Blue Series with our elementary students last year, and loved the way the curriculum was arranged by concept and each concept was covered in several ways.  This year, I chose the Golden Series of worksheets by grade to review.   I selected the Grade 7/8 and Algebra 1 worksheets for my oldest two daughters (grade 7 and 9). 

The Golden Series worksheets are grouped together by grade, and each worksheet covers one concept.  Each concept is approached in several different ways on the worksheet to encourage full understanding of the concept.  The Golden Series comes with an answer key, but does not include explanations of the concepts at all.  It is meant to be a supplemental series to use in addition to other curriculum.

I knew these worksheets did not include explanations, but I didn't expect us to struggle with the worksheets.  I guess I should have paid better attention to the note on the website which states that these are best used by teachers or tutors.  Because the concepts are approached in different ways than their regular curriculum, my daughters struggled to understand the pages.  In order to teach the pages to them, I found myself having to study their usual textbook and the worksheet to figure out how to explain it to them.  This made the worksheets less useful than I had hoped for our family.  In our home, math is handled independently for the most part.  These worksheets weren't able to be used that way in our home.

Although these reprintable, reusable worksheets are affordable as downloads at the price of $14.50 for the 7th/8th grade worksheets and answer key, and $13.50 for the Algebra 1 worksheets and answer key, they are not as useful for me as I had hoped.  Although I always received good grades in math, I had to work hard to learn the topics.  I do not think mathematically naturally, and neither do the two students I was trying to use them with.  For a math-minded parent, these may be more useful than they were to me.

Maria Miller has created several affordable Math Mammoth series.  Each series is available as a downloaded e-book, or as a black and white printed hard copy.  

  • The Blue series has  topical worksheets for grades 1-5, with explanations and answer keys included.  

  • The Light Blue Series is a complete curriculum for grades 1-5, with explanations and answer keys. 

  • The Golden Series includes worksheets grouped together by grade (3-8), no explanation, but answer key included. 

  • The Green Series are worksheets arranged by topic for grades 3-7, without explanations, but with the answer key. 

  • Note:  The Golden and Green series both contain warnings that they may best be used by teachers or tutors.



There are package deals available to save you even more money!  Maria Miller also provides 280 free worksheet samples and a helpful email newsletter for parents and teachers.

If you're looking for an affordable math curriculum that approaches math concepts in more than one memorized formula, check out Math Mammoth.

This item was provided free for our review as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.  We received no other compensation, and this review is our honest opinion.  Click the TOS Homeschool Crew banner at the top to read more reviews on this product by other Homeschool Crew members.

Trusting In Him,
April