Sunday, December 2, 2018

Book Review - Beloved: 365 Devotions for Young Women


 Last year I reviewed Zondervan's devotional for young women, Adored. I loved it, and my twelve year old daughter has loved reading it this year, as well. So when I was offered the chance to review Beloved, I gladly said yes. These books are so well-written and generally well-made. Both books are hardcover books, about 5.25 x 7.5 inches in size. They're over an inch thick with colorful covers and page designs. Beloved includes a ribbon marker to mark your place in the book, which my daughter noticed right away and appreciates.



The devotions are short, each only a page long, but meaningful. They're not just fluff. They're not condescending, and they don't try to sound like teenagers talking. There is space to includes notes or a brief prayer of your own at the bottom of each page, though it's probably better to journal in a larger space than to try to respond in the inch or so of space provided in the book.

One thing I noticed as I was reading portions of Beloved, is that it starts in Genesis and moves forward! Other than a few readings from Psalms, Proverbs, and Hebrews, the book goes through the Bible in order. The majority of the devotions are actually from Old Testament passages, which is a nice change, since many books want to focus almost entirely on the New Testament.

We've been so impressed with these devotions, that we've bought copies to give to other young ladies we know and care about. These books can definitely help a young woman grow in her understanding of God's Word and her place in His Kingdom. I hope that Zondervan continues to produce these yearly devotional books for young women. I highly recommend them.

April E.