Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Love in their eyes

I love looking into my children's eyes.  It is one of my favorite parts of being a mom.

 

When I look into  their eyes, I see a unique individual.  Every one of them has their own eye color and shape that is uniquely theirs, just as their personalities and dreams are unique.

 

When I look into their eyes, I see their passion and excitement.  They are so intent on telling me all about their dreams, their game, their book, their conversation with a friend.  It shows in their eyes.

 

When I look into their eyes, I see their love.  I see their love for me, and sometimes even their love for a sibling.  *wink*

 

When I look into their eyes, I see their vulnerability.  I am reminded that God has given me the job of protecting them, teaching them, cherishing them.  They long to be loved and cherished.  They need me.

 

When I look into their eyes, I see family.  I see resemblance to myself, to Steve, to our parents.  I am reminded of the generations before them, and that they are the future.

 

When I look into their eyes,  I also see humanity.  Let's be honest; sometimes when I look into their eyes, it's ugly.  Sometimes they are angry at me, or a sibling.  Sometimes they are defiant.  Sometimes they are repentant or sad.  They are human, just as I am.  They need God and they need forgiveness, just as I do.

 

When I look into my children's eyes, I feel incredibly blessed to be their Mom.  God has entrusted their lives to Steve and I ... and their spiritual lives.  They are such beautiful blessings, and their beautiful eyes are treasures to me.

 

I love to look into their eyes.

 

April E.